☄. *. ⋆ 𝑖.

︵‿︵‿୨♡୧‿︵‿︵

october second, 1995

︵‿︵‿୨♡୧‿︵‿︵

can anyone name me another exception to gamp's law of elemental transfiguration?

MALORIE HOPE SAT at the very back of the transfiguration classroom, keeping her eye glued to the clock and counting down the seconds until the end of the school day. only 6 minutes.

it wasn't that she didn't enjoy transfiguration - it was one of her best subjects - lori just had something more important on her mind.

the girl's mind was racing, the gears in her head whirring. only 4 minutes now.

she scoped out the rest of her classmates, the majority of which were also pleading for the lesson to be over. seamus finnigan was in the row ahead of her, currently sketching a rather unflattering caricature of professor mcgonagall. cho chang sat right at the front, absentmindedly fiddling with a strand of her hair and tapping her foot rhythmically under her desk.

lori was always noticing the little things, the miniscule details that others tend to take for granted. she liked to pay close attention to people's mannerisms and habits that usually fly under the radar - it gave her peace of mind to know things about people - seeing as everyone seemed to think they knew about her.

it was common knowledge that lori hope was a lost cause. both parents gone and shipped around foster homes as far back as she could remember, virtually no friends except her two dormmates who are essentially forced to get along with her, too smart for her own good but no plans for her future what so ever, and a shitty attitude? she was the classic recipe for disaster.

you would think that lori would be the prime target for judgemental eyes and whispers, however that couldn't be farther from the truth. no one really took the time to bother lori, so lori didn't take the time to bother anyone either. in fact, lori didn't take the time to bother with most things. she was too focused on one thing, the one most important thing in her entire world. the singular question that has kept her up most nights, occupied every nook and cranny of her brain ever since she first asked herself.

what happened to lori's mother?

the shrill sound of the bell rang in the girl's ears as her peers practically leapt out of their seats and rushed out of the classroom. she walked through the bustling corridors and headed towards the library, keeping her fingers crossed that madam pince would be waiting for her as promised.

she burst through the mahogany doors into the dead silent library. it was mostly empty besides a small cluster students studying on their free period. sure enough, madam pince was propped up at the front desk reading the latest issue of witch weekly; beside her sat an enormous pile of old newspapers that lori had specially requested.

"madam pince?" lori whispered, knocking on the desk lightly. the stern faced librarian jumped.

"oh merlin! -" she shuddered, looking up at the young girl. "oh yes, it's you again. the newspapers?" lori nodded as madam pince hauled the stack over to the nearest table and chairs, the papers landing with a loud thud.

madam pince frowned a little as she watched lori immediately start looking through the copy at the top of the pile. "what did you say you wanted these for again..?" she questioned, looking down her nose through her reading spectacles.