Chapter 1 - Cat, Interrupted

1

It was late afternoon with a dark dreary sky looming above the old gothic-style mansion, with light rain pattering along the outside of the windows inside the large and darkened office with only a single green-glass lamp lighting up the desk and filling the room with a sense of unease. On one side of the wall stood tall ornate gothic windows with thick dark green curtains halfway drawn, allowing the dim gray light to filter inside and cast the tall bookshelves on either side of the walls in a gloomy cast.

In the middle of the room facing away from the window was a heavy mahogany desk with books stacked on either corner and just in front were two brown leather arm chairs with high backs that were now facing each other as Laura and I sat in silence, only the sound of the soft rain filling the room.

Laura leaned on one side of the armchair with a small notepad in her lap as she watched me with careful eyes that only a mother could have, her shoulder length wavy blonde hair tucked behind one ear and her thin dark blue sweater reaching down over her knees, with tight black leggings on underneath as she sat with her legs crossed and bounced her bare foot up and down.

I sat on the other side of the small table in the center of us, wearing only a tight white tee with a low neck and three small useless buttons at the top with light wash jeans as I sat with my legs crossed and stared at my hands as I wrung them together in my lap.

Laura let out a short breath before she leaned forward in her chair, reaching for a small recording device on the table in the middle and pressed the stop button before looking up at me, "I know this isn't your first time talking to a therapist, Cat. You know how this works. You talk, and I listen, and we go back and forth until one of us feels better about what we discussed. But first, you have to say something."

I took in a deep breath before letting out a long sigh, looking up at her and shaking my head, "It's not that I don't have anything to say, trust me. I just... I don't know where to start?"

Laura nodded with a light smile, shrugging slightly, "You could start with answering my first question? How are you doing today? I thought that would be an easy one."

I let out a soft laugh, raising my eyebrows slightly and shaking my head, "You of all people should know that's usually a loaded question."

She nodded methodically, twiddling the pen in her hand as she spoke softly, "Well, then we'll start there. Did something happen today?"

I twisted my mouth and chewed on my lip, shrugging as I shook my head, "Not really... Our two week stay-cation ended up being more like one week long since we're all so wound up about the upcoming final boss battle. We still have no idea how to get to Purgatory, in order to get the key we need to even start the whole thing."

Laura cracked a slight smile, raising her eyebrows as she looked at me, "Final boss battle? Is that what you're calling the fight to the death against your evil twin sister now?"

I smirked to myself, shrugging and glancing down at my lap, "Sam came up with it. It sounds a whole lot better than the Apocalypse."

She nodded with a smile, raising her eyebrows slightly and shrugging, "That doesn't surprise me that Sam came up with that name."

I looked down as I cracked a smile, letting out a light laugh when Laura smiled softly at me, "How is Sam doing, by the way?"

I took in a breath, glancing up and shrugging, "He's doing a lot better, actually. At least... With all the weird speech things? And he's getting around better too, but..."