Chapter 3: Breaking The News

‘What is it Joseph? Just tell me already’ Michael said impatiently. Joseph lowered his eyes to the floor as he spoke. ‘You’re mother and I arranged you in a fixed marriage’ Joseph exclaimed softly. ‘What?! You have got to be kidding me!’ Michael exclaimed as he looked at his father in disbelief. Joseph only shook his head, eyes still lowered. ‘This is serious business boy. We think it’s what’s best for you’ he explained. Michael shook his head as he stood up and paced the room, still trying to let what his father said sink-in. Then he gave his father a hateful stare. Best? He thought this was best for him?! Why were they taking control of his life?! Michael gave a harsh chuckle. ‘Best?! You think this is best for me?! Joseph, you never knew what was best for me! You never did!’ he exclaimed with fury in his eyes. Joseph looked up at his son as anger began to creep up slowly in his nerves. ‘Listen boy, if it weren’t for me, you wouldn’t even be where you are today!’ Joseph exclaimed, raising his voice. ‘That’s not what I’m trying to say here Joseph! It’s this stupid fixed marriage I’m talking about!’ Michael stated, almost yelling. Without warning, Joseph stood up from his seat and shoved Michael into the wall and pinned him down. As he stared into his father’s angry eyes, a sudden wave of painful memories came rushing through his mind. Through those hateful, hazel eyes, he remembered him and his brothers rehearsing when they were younger while Joseph watched their every move with a belt in his hand. Joseph would tear them up with a simple mistake. He remembered staring out at the window and watched other children his age frolic and play in the playground across the street from their house back in Gary, Indiana. Michael hated how he was forced to work and not go to school like other kids his age. He used to cry thinking about how other people tried to control his life. Right now that was how he felt. He felt deprived even of his own life. He couldn’t even make decisions for himself. Michael couldn’t even begin to think that even his relationships and marriage matters were taken under his parent’s concerns. He couldn’t bear the thought. ‘Listen Mike, you will marry the girl we’ve chosen for you whether you like it or not. The papers have already been signed. You’ve got to do this’ Joseph stated as he leveled his eyes to his son’s. ‘And what if I don’t? Michael dared as he struggled to break free from his father’s grip, to no avail. ‘Or this…’ Joseph raised his hand to strike Michael when Katherine walked back into the room still wiping her eyes. When she saw what was happening, she looked at them in shock as she ran to Joseph and held onto his raised hand to prevent him from hitting their son. ‘Joseph, stop this nonsense!’ she commanded and looked at her son with huge, concerned eyes. Joseph put his hand and back to his side and looked at Michael bitterly. ‘Remember what I said boy’ he said calmly but anger still burning in his eyes as he walked out of the room. Moments later they heard the front door slam and Joseph’s car leaving the driveway. ‘Probably out to find comfort from a groupie’ Michael thought in disgust. He could not imagine how he could stay at cheating on his wife. Although Katherine knew about his “night-outs” with several girls, she remained calm and tried to stay out of it and continued to be faithful to her husband. Michael had encouraged her to get a divorce with Joseph but she didn’t want to. She wanted to stay with her husband whatever his shenanigans were.

******************

*****************

Katherine ran to Michael and wrapped her arms around him. His whole body shook with anger as he gently pushed Katherine away and looked at her bitterly. He hated the fact that Katherine agreed with Joseph with this and that he was angry at his mother but he also knew that he had every right to be. As far as he knew, they had no right to interfere with his life. ‘Leave me alone Kate’ he muttered as he walked upstairs to his bedroom with heavy footsteps and slammed the door behind him. Katherine was shocked. Michael had never pushed her away like that before, or even call her by her name. She felt as though Michael had distanced himself away from her. He had completely shut his world away from her. Katherine was obviously very hurt about this considering the fact that Michael was the closest son she had. Tears began to form in her eyes but she forced herself not to let them fall. Recovering from the shock, she went to the kitchen to prepare lunch. ‘He’ll have to get used to the idea soon…’ Katherine thought to herself. ‘I just hope so…’ she prayed as she glanced at Michael’s doorway before heading off to the kitchen…<3