Chapter 5: Giving In?

After making sure that Michael was already finished talking on the phone, Katherine lightly tapped on Michael’s door and tried to appear as though she hadn’t just eavesdrop on him. ‘Come in’ Michael responded softly. She slowly opened the door and found him lying on his bed with a pillow covering his face. When Michael took it off to see who was in the room, his lips curved into a frown when he realized it was his mother. It wasn’t difficult to read from his face that he was still obviously very upset with her. ‘What do you want mother?’ he said with obvious irritation in his voice. Once again, Katherine was struck by Michael’s unusual behavior. He never acted this way before and she forced herself to ignore it since she knew that her son was going through a difficult time to understand everything that was going through right now. ‘I just thought you were hungry dear so I brought you something to eat. It’s peach cobbler’ she forced a smile and tried to ease the tension between them. She placed the food on his bedside table. ‘I’m not in the mood to eat anything’ he snapped at his mother as he sat up on his bedside. She sat beside him and placed her hand over his but he quickly pulled his hand away. ‘Please… Just leave me alone’ Michael said softly. Katherine only shook her head and wrapped an arm around him. She felt him distancing himself from her and she was afraid of what would happen if he completely shut himself from her. She couldn’t bear the thought of her son shunning and avoiding her. Michael wanted to move away but he just couldn’t do so. Even at 30, he still felt protected from his mother’s arms. His whole body shook as tears began forming in his eyes. ‘We need to talk sweetheart’ Katherine said softly and rubbed his back. No matter how old her children were getting, she still considered them her babies. One time, she even spoon-fed Jermaine when he was confined in the hospital. She loved all her children equally. But somehow, she had grown closest to Michael. Not because he was the one supporting her and her husband, but because there was a bond formed between them that had never formed with her other children. Michael began to smile and wiped the tears off his face. ‘Wow… This is embarrassing’ he chuckled softly. Katherine smiled, relieved that his son’s anger on her was slowly dying down. ‘Don’t hide those tears from me mister’ she scolded playfully and wagged a finger at her. ‘I’m really sorry for snapping at you mother. I’m just upset that you did something without my consent. This is my life and I have a right to know what’s going on. This fixed marriage thing is a really difficult thing to take in right now. When did you plan this?’ Michael asked, trying not to sound upset. ‘While you were on tour. Your father and I made the arrangements while you were busy so that you couldn’t disagree. We wanted to tell you earlier but thought that it would distract you while you worked. So we finally decided to tell you when you come home’ she explained. She looked up at Michael and saw that he was growing uncomfortable. He only nodded and looked at her with deep, sad eyes. ‘You know, marriage is a very beautiful thing. It’s very special and sacred’ Katherine spoke. ‘I know. That’s why I think you should let me choose my own wife and let me live my life’ he spoke lowly. He stood up and walked to his window. It overlooked the whole estate. He saw Bubbles, his pet chimp, running around the bird bath, attempting to catch a bird. Michael smiled at the sight then turned again to his mother. ‘Sweetheart I’m sorry’ Katherine spoke softly, her voice barely a whisper. Tears rolled down her cheeks as she stood up stood next to Michael. ‘Honestly mother, I’d rather go on a tour with my brothers than marry someone I don’t know’ Michael said blankly, still looking out the window. ‘Michael, the wedding’s going to be a year from now. That’s long enough for you to get to know your future wife don’t you think?’ she looked up at him questioningly. Michael only shook his head. ‘What if I don’t like her?’ he asked with concern. Katherine couldn’t help but smile. She knew Michael was beginning to agree to her plans. ‘You will. Trust me’ she smiled. ‘Are you sure she’s not a groupie?’ Michael asked with a look of disgust. She only laughed and shook her head. ‘She’s a very decent girl. Would you like to eat your peach cobbler now?’ she smiled. Michael nodded. He had had enough of the drama and was getting hungry. ‘Let’s go downstairs’ he grinned as he grabbed the peach cobbler from his bedside table.

******************

****************

With his mother following just behind him, they walked to the dining room and sat down at the table. Katherine watched as Michael hurriedly ate his meal. ‘Slow down Michael. What’s the rush?’ Katherine chuckled. ‘Oh sorry. Must be a habit of mine while I was on tour. I was always in a hurry’ he laughed as he took another bite of his meal. Katherine laughed. While eating, they conversed about the tour until Michael turned the subject back to his fixed marriage. ‘Mother, what’s… y’know, my future wife like?’ I assume you’ve met her’ he asked in a serious tone as he stood up and cleared his now empty plate. Katherine smiled. She thought he was trying to get used to the idea of becoming a married man. ‘She’s very beautiful. Intelligent and loving too’ she smiled. ‘What else?’ Michael asked enthusiastically. He wasn’t really in favor of the idea but he knew he had nothing to do about it now. The only thing he could do now was to show interest and get used to the idea. ‘That’s all I can tell you. I don’t want to be a spoiler once you meet her’ Katherine giggled. Michael’s stomach suddenly churned. ‘Meet her? That soon? ‘What will she think of me? Will she believe the rumors that were quickly spreading? Will she even believe that I bleached my skin?’ So many questions were running through Michael’s mind. He only hoped his mother was telling the honest truth about her.

*****************

****************

After washing up the dishes, Michael grabbed his leather jacket and put on his disguise which consist of a fake mustache, a pair of goofy teeth, a pair of dark sunglasses (though it was dark out), and of course his trademark, his black fedora. ‘Where are you going?’ Katherine asked, washing her hands on the sink. ‘Just going to get some fresh air’ Michael replied as he adjusted his fedora. It was starting to get dark outside and he knew it was the perfect time to go out. He usually went out at night so he wouldn’t be easily noticed by the paparazzi or his crazed fans. He loved them without a doubt but sometimes he just needed his own private space. Joseph still hadn’t arrived after his outburst earlier that morning and Michael suspected that he wouldn’t be back ‘till tomorrow. Joseph was always like that. Whenever he was angry or upset, he would suddenly disappear and wouldn’t come back until the next morning. ‘Alright. Don’t stay out too long’ Katherine spoke with her back turned to him. ‘Bye’ he exclaimed. He walked out the door and softly closed it behind him.

******************

*****************

The chilly November air blew as Michael walked around the neighborhood. Whenever he could, he would sneak out of the house after dark and take a walk, attempting to find someone to talk to. Sometimes he was lucky enough to find someone but often times, he would walk back home disappointed and lonely. He headed to the park and found it deserted. He sat on the swing and watched as the sun slowly set and cast a soft warm glow to the sky. ‘They say if you make a wish on a sunset it’ll come true. Sort of like making a wish to a shooting star’ he remembered his older brother Jackie telling him when they were both young. Like a little child, Michael closed his eyes. ‘I wish I could just find someone to talk to’ he whispered softly… <3