Chapter 7: Hi....

By noon, the clinic was already half empty. Dani’s patients were mostly toddlers that were infected with influenza which was quickly spreading in the city. The whole town was in frenzy about it and was desperate to keep their children from being infected by the disease. Although it was a stressful job for Dani, she loved children and helping others. She helped in different organizations and charities as much as she could. She would even launch campaigns in which she would visit different orphanages and conduct free medical check-ups. As much as it was tiring for her, she enjoyed working as a pediatrician and was happy that she could bring a little happiness to children…

******************

*****************

Today was an awkward day for her. Everywhere she looked, she would see his face. Everytime she listened, she would hear his gentle voice. It was as though he was calling out to her. Trying to tell her something…

Dani wasn’t a huge Michael Jackson fan, but she wasn’t against his entertaining either. There was something about his mellow voice that soothed her nerves. There was something about his dance moves that kept her glued to the screen. There was something in his undeniable charm that made her smile. Dani thought it weird when Michael Jackson filled her whole day. During an appointment with a 5 year-old boy, he was wearing an MJ t-shirt and cap. When she turned on her radio to relax herself, Michael Jackson’s “Man In The Mirror” was playing. She felt goose bumps creep up slowly on her arms. She felt as though he was trying to reach out to her…

******************

****************

It was almost 6 pm when the last patient finally left through the glass doors of the clinic. Dani sat behind her mahogany desk and tried to finish up the last of her paperwork. She decided to turn her small television in her office to see what was on. ‘Tonight, we bring you a special on a concert of a lifetime experience! Michael Jackson’s Bad Tour Live in Wembley right now on ABC’ the anchor announced. Dani immediately turned off her TV and slumped on her chair with a loud sigh. Just then, Josephine walked into her office holding two cups of steaming coffee. She handed the other cup to her and sipped her own. ‘Is there something bothering you doctor? You seem…I don’t know, different?’ Josephine exclaimed as she set her cup down. Dani only shook her head and gave a gentle smile. ‘It’s nothing. Maybe I’m just tired. Thank you for the coffee by the way’ she smiled gratefully as she took another sip of her coffee. Josephine nodded. ‘It’s the least I can do doctor. Umm… Are you sure you don’t want to go home and rest? You don’t look well’ she said with a worried look. Dani glanced at her watch. 6:15 pm. It was still early to go home but she figured that Josephine was right. She did feel a little lightheaded and she wanted the day to end. It was just too awkward for her. She stood up and carried her paperwork. She told Josephine to lock the door before she left the clinic. Dani called a cab and prepared to call it a day…

******************

******************

As she sat in the backseat, her mind wondered again to the argument she and her father had earlier that morning. ‘This is messed up. I don’t want to commit to a person I don’t love most of all, met. I just hope he accepts me for who I am’ she pondered to herself. Her thoughts were cut off when Michael Jackson’s song “I Just Can’t Stop Loving You” played on the radio. ‘And him. Why is it that I keep on seeing his face or hearing his voice today? Is he trying to reach out to me or something? She thought questioningly. She took another glance at her watch. 6:30 pm. Then an idea sparked into her mind. She remembered a place where she used to go when she was a little girl. She would sit on the bench in the middle of the field whenever she felt upset. Nature comforted her. It was as though it was her hiding place. Her safe haven…

‘Sir can we uh, go back?’ she said politely to the driver. ‘Sure, where to miss?’ the driver replied. ‘The local park’ she replied. Without another word, the car took to the other direction and headed for the local park. Dani smiled to herself. ‘Let the childhood memories come rolling back’ she thought to herself and leaned back against her seat…

******************

*****************

Meanwhile, Michael was slowly making his way back to the Hayvenhurst estate. He left lonely and upset again. There was no one he could talk to. ‘Sometimes I can’t help but regret being famous. Other people make decisions for me. I can’t even decide simple things for myself! Maybe I should quit the music industry sooner than I expected’ he thought to himself. As he was thinking to himself, he hadn’t seen where he was going and bumped into someone. The person fell back on the pavement…

******************

*****************

Dani looked up and saw the person she had bumped into standing in front of her. He was tall and lean and was wearing dark sunglasses. She couldn’t see right through them but she knew that the person was staring directly at her. He had on a thick leather jacket and a black fedora that concealed half of his face. He was wearing a beard that was obviously fake because it was now in a crooked position. The stranger bent down and helped her get up. ‘I’m really sorry miss. Are you alright? Did I hurt you?’ the stranger said worriedly as he helped her pick up the paperwork that were scattered to the floor. She gave a shy smile and only shook her head. ‘I-I’m fine. Thank you’ she said shyly as the stranger handed her the papers. ‘Where are you heading off to?’ the stranger asked as he fixed the fedora on his head. ‘The local park. I just wanted to walk around’ she smiled. Her blonde curls that were tied into a bun let loose and fell to her back. ‘His voice sounds familiar. Where have I heard it before?’ she thought to herself. ‘Oh I’ve just been there. I just wanted someone to talk to. But unfortunately, there wasn’t anyone who wanted to sit with me. Would you mind if I join you?’ the stranger asked shyly, his eyes fixated to the pavement. Dani knew it wasn’t safe to talk to strangers but somehow, she felt as though this stranger wasn’t the type to hurt anyone and that she could trust him. But looks could be deceiving… She only shook her head and smiled. ‘No. Not at all’ she replied. ‘Great. Let’s go’ the stranger added with enthusiasm as they both headed to the park… <3