D.)

Age 18, June:

I trudged into the apartment, dropping my purse onto the floor. I kicked off my heels and pulled my graduation cap off my head. Tiptoeing down the hall, I peeked my head into the bedroom. The lights were off, but the sun's rays exposed my mom, unconscious and sprawled across the bed. I heard her snoring lightly, and beside the bed were both a nearly empty bottle of whiskey and spilled glass of red wine.

I exhaled deeply, feeling unsurprised but annoyed. I should've known this was going to happen. I stepped in the room and knelt down to grab the bottle and glass. Before I could slip back out, I heard a groggy voice.

"Hey, honey." I looked back to see my mother yawning and rubbing her eyes. "You look so nice! Just give me a couple minutes and I'll be ready t-to go."

"Ma, the ceremony ended almost three hours ago."

"Oh..." I could hear disappointment in her voice, as she tried to sit up. "W-well, I'm sorry I missed it, hon. Maybe I can ask Sharee--"

"Don't worry. Tyra's mom already sent the videos and pictures she took. It's on YouTube too."

She paused. "How about we order in from your favorite Chinese spot to celebrate? I'm sure I can scrape--"

"Not in the budget." I responded. "It's fine; I already went out with Tyra and her family. Are you hungry?"

I briskly walked out of the room and back towards the living room. I stopped at the coat closet and took my graduation gown off, revealing a formfitting white dress that barely touched my mid thighs. I changed into a comfortable pink tracksuit, before placing my hair in a claw clip. I then walked into our messy kitchen. I sighed, remembering I'd just cleaned it maybe two days prior.

I put in the time and effort to clean the apartment about two to three times a week, though I was rarely there. It was always frustrating to come back to a messy house, knowing I was hardly around enough to cause any of it. I mainly came to check that my mom was still alive and to make sure she had food.

After I put the bottle and wine glass on the counter, I placed a few chicken tenders in the air fryer for her. I tidied the space while they cooked. My mind thought back to my graduation ceremony. I couldn't help but laugh at the students who showed genuine sadness at graduating. I was more than happy to be leaving that school. The only person I was going to miss was Tyra, because she was going on a month-long vacation island-hopping across the Caribbean as celebration. A part of me was envious of my best friend, because I knew my summer was going to be full of day time classes and night time dancing.

My mom staggered her way into the kitchen, just as the chicken tenders finished. I put them on a plate for her as well as some grapes from the refrigerator.

"Ketchup or barbecue?"

"Barbecue, please." She exhaled heavily, going into the freezer and pulling out a bottle of Bacardi Gold.

"Ma." I gave her hard look, as she took a swallow straight out of the bottle.

"Deja, please." She pulled another cup from the cabinet, filling it halfway. "This is my last one for the day, I promise."

"You said that this morning," I grumbled, remembering the promise she'd broken about sleeping off her drunkenness to make it to my graduation on time. All she was full of were empty promises; I'd grown to expect nothing from her.

My mom didn't seem to hear my snide remark, being too busy chugging the liquor and inhaling her chicken tenders. I rolled my eyes, knowing it was a fight I couldn't win. I forced her to drink some water, before she flopped down onto the couch and turned on a random Netflix movie. Her eyes seemed to glaze over, and she stared blankly at the screen as the alcohol overtook her. Once I confirmed she was still breathing, I placed another glass of water and some Advil on the table in front of her, as well as the trashcan near her on the floor. I then grabbed my keys and duffle bag, before sliding into my crocs and making my way towards the door.