Chapter 2

Amelia was nervous about flying lessons, as she had never been on a broom before. Madam Hooch came along, blowing her whistle.

Potter was the first one to get his broom to fly up into his hand. Draco was next. Once everyone had their brooms Madam Hooch gave instructions on what to do. When the whistle blew the shy boy from earlier started rising in the air, unable to control his broom.

"Uh oh," said Amelia. This didn't look good. Madam Hooch yelled, "Mr Longbottom, come back down right now."

Longbottom didn't come down, in fact he flew higher. Madam hooch tried to get him to come down but the poor boy had no control over his broom and was being flown around like a rag doll.

Amelia covered her eyes. "I can't watch!" she said. The other students looked around, unsure of what to do. Many of them had never interacted with a broom until today.

Longbottom was flying around until his broom decided to come straight at us! Madam Hooch dived out of the way as he flew past us and his cloak snagged on a spear of a statue. His cloak ripped and he fell. "Ouch." Cassie winced as Madam Hooch rushed over.

Amelia also ran over to Neville. "Are you okay?" she asked.

"Ms. Tanner I appreciate your concern for Mr. Longbottom but would you please go back to the other students." Madam Hooch says and announces she is taking Longbottom to the Hospital Wing and if she sees a broom in the air, we'll be expelled before we can say Quidditch.

After Madam Hooch had gone with Neville, some of the Slytherins started laughing.

Draco picked something up from where Longbottom fell. "Maybe if the fat lump had given this a squeeze, he'd remember to land on his fat ass!" The rest of the Slytherins laugh except for Cassie as she watches Potter walk up to Draco.

Harry went up to Draco. "Give it back," he said.

"No. I think I'll leave it somewhere for him to find. How 'bout on the roof!" Draco hollered down as Cassie sighed. "What an idiot."

Without a second thought, Harry got on his broom and flew after Draco. "No Crabbe and Goyle to save your neck," he said.

Granger called after Potter but he didn't listen. All the students watched as Potter tried to knock Draco off his broom.

Draco threw the rememberball in the distance, so Harry flew after it and caught it. He didn't see Professor McGonagall looking at him from her window.

McGonagall came out after Potter landed and asked him to go with her. Cassie shuffles over to Amelia and said, "Well that was an interesting flying lesson."

"Yeah," said Amelia. "just hope that Harry isn't in that much trouble." What the girls didn't know was that in that moment Harry was being led to the captain of the Gryffindor Quidditch team, Oliver Wood so that he could be the seeker.

"Yeah. Want to go visit Longbottom in the Hospital wing?" Asked Cassie

"Yeah," said Amelia. "I'll bring some sweets for him."

"Not even through the day and you already fancy someone." Cassie sighs smiling

"What?" asked Amelia. "No, it's not like that at all. I just want to give him something to cheer him up."

"Sure." Cassie chuckles as they make their way to the hospital wing. About halfway there a group of Slytherins stop them.

"What do you want?" asked Amelia.

"Oh just to talk to Lance here. We heard she was hanging with mudbloods." One of the Slytherins said. "Leave her alone Nott." Cassie said.

Amelia was more confused than ever.
"What the heck is that word?" she asked. "I'm not dirty, what on earth is this nonsense you're saying?"

"It seems here the little mudblood doesn't even know what the word means." Nott teased. "For the last time Nott, leave her alone or you'll face my family." Cassie threatens. "Are you sure we'll be the ones facing your family when they find out you're fraternizing with a mudblood?" Nott smirks as he sees Cassie's face pale. She grabs Amelia's wrist and drags her past them.

"What's their problem with us?" asked Amelia. "What is that word? It sounds an awful lot like a swear word to me. Why would it be wrong for you to hang out with me?"

Cassie sighs and stops outside the hospital wing door. "Mudblood is a nasty word used to describe muggle-borns like yourself. It means dirty blood.
Purebloods aren't supposed to hang out with people of lower status. Take the Weasley family for example. They love muggles and are considered blood-traitors. If my parents were to find out I'm friends with you it wouldn't be good."

"Oh," said Amelia. "And I thought that racism in the Muggle world is bad enough. But I met the Weasleys once and they seemed nice."

"It's basically a slur and I hate when people use it." They walk in the hospital wing to see Longbottom on a bed.

"Hi Neville," said Amelia. "Does your arm hurt?

"It's not to bad anymore. Thanks for asking." He says

"We never got the chance to introduce ourselves," said Amelia. "I'm Amelia Tanner."

"And I'm Cassie...Lance." She said hesitantly at first. "Lance...?" Neville says. "Yeah but I'm nothing like my parents or brother."

Amelia was confused. "I don't get it. Who are your parents and brother?"

"Let's just say they are like Draco's parents." Again Cassie mumbles to herself thinking Amelia and Longbottom could hear. "Maybe even worse." Longbottom's eyes go wide at hearing that.

"Worse?" asked Amelia. "What exactly do you mean by that?"

"Did I say worse?" She nervously asks. "How's your arm Longbottom?" She avoids the question and looks at Longbottom "You already asked how it was." He replies

Amelia frowns. She didn't understand why Cassie was so afraid. Was she just simply ashamed that her parents were death eaters? Or did it stem from more than that?

After they finished visiting Neville they walked to there next class which was potions.

Amelia saw that Professor Snape seemed moody. She wondered what he would be like.

"Fair warning, Snape can be...well unfair in terms of houses and points. Don't get your knickers in a twist if you lose points for simply breathing." Cassie warns Amelia as they take their seats.

Amelia looked surprised, but didn't say anything. She took a seat.

Professor Snape entered dramatically and explained the rules. Then at rapid fire started questioning Potter who didn't know a single answer.

Amelia was super confused. She could see Hermione raising her hand. It would make more sense to ask someone who knew the answer.

Cassie who was next to Amelia saw her confusion and explained that Snape has a weird way of teaching by only calling on people who aren't paying attention. "Ms. Tanner pray tell what is more important then the lesson? 10 points from Ravenclaw." Snape drawls when he catches me whispering

Amelia was annoyed. She wasn't the one whispering! Why was she the one blamed?

"But Professed she wasn't talking! If anything I should have points taken." Cassie defended her friend.

Soon enough the class ended and Cassie packed her stuff up as the day was coming to end.

Amelia had noticed that Snape was harder on Harry than everyone else. She didn't understand why. He hadn't done anything to deserve it.