Chapter 17: Where do broken hearts go ?

Song recommendation: Without You - Oh Wonder.

Chapter Seventeen.

"If I'm free, it's because I'm always running."

- Jimi Hendrix.

***

The sound of my heartbeat silenced everything else in my surroundings. My stomach churned, and I fought the urge to run around like a nervous wreck.

Mom paced around the room, checking every corner. She wanted the house to look perfect for my dad's arrival. She had spent the entire morning cleaning and making sure the house was spick and span for him.

If I hadn't already felt sick, her frantic pacing would've made me throw up.

"Alright, we've got coffee and cake. Some juice too. How do I look?" she asked, smoothing down her long flowery skirt.

She was dressed in a stylish ensemble—a sleek black turtleneck elegantly paired with a long, flowing floral skirt that gracefully swirled around her legs.

Completing the look were her favorite leather boots, adding a touch of sophistication to her outfit. Her blonde hair had been meticulously curled, cascading in effortless waves down to her shoulder blades, framing her face with a soft, elegant allure. As always, her makeup was impeccably smooth and flawless, accentuating her natural beauty.

I rolled my eyes. "You look amazing, as usual," I responded in an indifferent tone.

Her face dropped, and she looked at me, disappointed by my obvious lack of enthusiasm.

I didn't intend to hurt her, but I was anxious and triggered by his visit. Dad wanting to play a significant role in my life and acting all invested was pissing me off. He had ignored my existence for years, so why come back now after all this time?

My parents never wondered what I wanted. They didn't bother to ask if I wanted him to be a part of my life or if I was even ready for it. They didn't even know about my latest mental breakdown.

Mom's eagerness was annoying the hell out of me too. She acted like she didn't remember how he abandoned us and never helped when we needed him the most.

"You could try to be nice, you know?" she sighed. "He is trying."

Realizing that upsetting her any more was pointless, I went along with whatever she wanted and faked a smile.

"I'll be an actual angel," I promised her.

Just as she was about to answer, the doorbell rang. Mom took a deep breath and hurried to the door, her footsteps echoing through the hallway.

I could hear them talking the moment they entered. Denis's hearty laugh filled the room as they spoke about the terrible traffic.

My heart raced, the pounding so intense that I could hear each thump echoing in my ears.

Denis rushed towards me. "Here's my girl!" he exclaimed, his arms outstretched, ready to envelop me in a tight embrace.

I couldn't keep myself from smiling. I was happy Denis came along, and I wished we could hang out more.

"How are you?" I asked, hugging him in return.

"I'm doing great. Oh, you guys made cake?" he rubbed his hands together in anticipation.

And just like that, nothing else existed for him.

My biological dad stood there awkwardly. I couldn't meet his eyes, so I lowered my gaze to the floor. I knew I'd blow up if I said anything, so I kept quiet.