Chapter 36 : My achingly beautiful man.

Song recommendation: Lose Control - Teddy Swims

Chapter Thirty-Six

"The truth is, everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for."

-Bob Marley

***

Rays of sunlight danced through the windows, casting a warm glow on the bustling coffee shop.

The aroma of freshly ground beans wafted through the air, mingling with the scent of warm pastries.

I absentmindedly toyed with the black mug in my hands, captivated by the graceful, wavelike swirls of the coffee inside of it.

"Quynn, I swear I'm going to be offended if you don't answer me right now," Asher said, snapping his fingers in front of my face to demand my attention.

I readjusted my posture, aligning my spine to sit upright. I just realized that I had completely ignored him for the past... ho'w long was it?

A quick glance at my phone showed that I had been lost in my thoughts for at least ten minutes.

In my defense, I was exhausted, and it was too early in the morning to enjoy my amazing espresso.

Asher, who'd been radiating happiness these past two weeks, insisted we all gather at Eden's coffee shop for breakfast. Luna, Mute, and I arrived on time, but Selena and Locki were fashionably late, as always.

Ten minutes ago, Mute and Luna had escaped for a smoke while Asher went on a rant... I couldn't remember the topic, though.

A sheepish smile slowly formed on my face, revealing my embarrassment. "I agree," I said without even knowing what I was agreeing to.

His thick brown brows knitted together in a frown as he crossed his arms over his chest. "You do?" His eyes widened with surprise.

I raised an eyebrow and cocked my head to the side, unsure. "No? Maybe?" I sipped my coffee, its rich flavor enveloping my taste buds and awakening my senses.

"So, you would agree to it?" he leaned over, extending his hand across the table to hold mine. "God, I'm so relieved! With Mute being so stuck-up and everything, I thought you'd say no. Selena is going to scream! I know it's weird, but heck, we're close, right? I'll have to shave, of course..." He nodded to himself, a small smile playing at the corners of his lips.

Shave? What in the world is he going on about? What did I agree to?

"Why is Chucky going to be happy?" I asked. "And why do you need to shave? You don't have any facial hair."

His smile widened as he grasped both of my hands. When he looked at me, his baby blue eyes lit up with pure excitement.

"Oh, I'm not talking about my face. You just agreed to a three way. Selena, Mute, and you. You said yes!" His eyebrows wiggled suggestively, his face lighting up with a contagious smile.

I rolled my eyes and shoved his face away. "Why do I even hang out with you, pervert?"

He let out a chuckle. "Dude, you kept spacing out on me. I had to find a subject to bring you back. You should've seen your face. It was hilarious," his laughter intensified, "but seriously, though, Selena's been harassing me to ask you guys for a double date." He said with a smile as he relaxed in his chair.

I was really excited to see how happy they were together. Sure, we could've done without all their public displays of affection, but they looked incredibly cute. And that's all that mattered to us.