PART III: All for nothing

Kumaran and his neighbour, Shilpa, had headed straight to Parvati Hospital with an unconscious Pankaj since it was the best hospital in the area and the whole of Mumbai. There, Pankaj was taken away for emergency treatment, and Kumaran was forced by Edha - after shocking her with his spontaneity and his knack for getting involved in such bizarre incidents as if they were an everyday thing - to get his minor wounds checked and treated despite claiming to be fine, she didn't want to hear him out.

While getting treated, his impatience was soaring higher and higher, and he frequently kept checking the time on the wall clock. It seemed to be racing. He clicked his tongue, unable to not think of poor Pankaj.

Even after he was successful in driving away the evil that possessed her, the exorcism wasn't over - it was hardly ever so easy. As was the case with his neighbour, there were vistages of a foreign peculiar energy in her own aura which he guessed to belong to the evil thing, whatever it was. The only difference, if any, was the intensity and amount of the vistages; in Pankaj's aura it was more. That was a voucher enough for him to conclude there could've been another attack, sooner or later, and also that his neighbour, Shilpa, was in danger too. She and Pankaj were probably going through the same paranormal predicament.

That wasn't just it. His actual concern was regarding his own abilities and whether what he had was enough to face such an enemy without aid. It dodged him, flung him, and had great battle instincts. If he won, it was only because of sheer luck or perhaps Pankaj's body became a limit to it. Not to forget, his one off ace should've been enough to completely exorcise in most cases. Either way, it was strong.

His line of thoughts broke when the nurse treating him wrapped the bandage a little too tightly around his forearm.

"Ouch." He reflexively pulled his hands away from her.

"Sorry, sir." She loosened it a bit.

"That's okay. Is it done?" His eyes again glanced at the wall clock.

It was almost ten.

"Yes, sir." She started packing the medical things.

"Thanks," he briskly got up. The back stung a bit. "Ouch - again."

"Sir, you shouldn't-"

"I'm fine, I'm fine." He took his thick cargo shirt.

"Sir, please take rest-"

"Don't worry, I'm really fine. That was just a small sting." Smoothly Slipping his arms into his shirt, he turned to her. "Where is the girl who was unconscious? I came here with her."

"Sir, you need to-"

"Please tell me, will you?" With a serious expression he asked.

For a moment she didn't answer and looked around, unsure what to do. He knew that she was thinking of the hospital rules of not allowing patients to roam about so soon after treatment.

He pursed his lips and pressed his eyebrows together with his fingers, patience almost dead. Lying was the only option left, "She is my friend."

The nurse's eyes nervously switched between him and the door of the room. Maybe she was hoping some senior nurse or doctor passed by so she can tell them to convince him otherwise. But the passage outside was empty.

And so, under the pressure of his request, she told him in her low, frail voice where Pankaj was.

He thanked her and at once strode out the room.

The hospital was quiet and free of crowd. Other than the hospital staff, only some people were present, seated and waiting in silence.

In front of the nearest elevator, an old and bent lady with a jute bag Mumbling at the digital panel gave the hint that the elevator was busy in the top floors.