Summer of '76|Twenty-Four|Fancy Dinner

I wish that you would stay in my memories
                       But you show up today
                            Just to ruin things

Tuesday, August 3rd, 1976

Barty stood in the mirror, looking at the suit he was wearing. It looked good enough on him, but he felt the tie was a bit much. Of course, he'd worn ties everyday of his school life, but that was when the tie was green and it wasn't a big deal if it wasn't tied perfectly.

He'd been forced to, once again, die his hair completely black again. He'd somehow manage to grow it out though. It was just past jaw, and he tied it up in a man bun. He though it looked weird, but also cool.

"Bartemius! Get your ass down here! We're leaving!" Barty Sr shouted. Barty hurried out of his room and down the stairs, just in time to see his parents flooing away to 12 Grimmauld Place. Barty followed a second after.

The moment he walked out of the fireplace at the Black Manor, he was embraced in a tight hug, Pandora's perfume engulfing his senses.

"Hi, Dora" Barty greeted, hugging her back. Behind her, Evan was standing extremely awkwardly with his head down. "We missed you so much" Pandora whispered, gesturing to Evan. "I missed you guys too" Barty whispered back.

Hours went on, and the dinner hadn't even begun. It was just big important wizarding adults getting drunk off fancy expensive wine and talking shit about their kids and colleagues.

Barty managed to slip away and be alone for a few minutes. He went upstairs and found Regulus's room, which he was extremely familiar with.

He laid on his friend's bed, and took a breath. "Knock knock" a voice whispered from the door, lightly tapping the wood. Barty turned his head to see Evan standing there. He had a shit-eating grin on his face, and he entered the room slowly.

"Hey babe" Barty said, opening his arms up for Evan. "Hi" Evan replied. He pressed a kiss to Barty's forehead as he sat down. Evan was criss-crossed next to Barty.

It was very clear that Evan was using his sister's makeup to cover the bruises on his face and neck. Barty wished Evan's parents didn't feel the need to hurt him so much.

"How are you doing?" Evan asked, fidgeting with Barty's fingers. "I'm fine. What about you?" Barty asked back.

"I'm doing just swell"

"Bullshit, I can see the bruises"

"Can you really?"

"Yeah"

"Ah, shit. You think anyone else has noticed?"

"Probably not. Most people here are just getting drunk and claiming they're going over business stuff"

"Good"

They sat in a comfortable silence. Barty put his head on Evan's lap, and Evan pulled out a package of cigarettes and a muggle lighter that had a small photo of David Bowie on it.

"Reggie's gonna kill you if you smoke in here" Barty commented. "That's only if my parents don't get to killing me first" Evan replied, attempting to make a joke but instead resulted in worrying Barty further.

"What do you mean by that?" Barty asked, sitting up and looking worriedly at Evan. "Oh, it's nothing, I've just been getting into a lot of arguments with mum and dad recently" Evan said, trying to diffuse what he said.

"Arguments about what?" Barty pressed. "About my...future plans" Evan answered.

"What future plans?"

"Does it matter?"

"It does if you're arguing with your parents over it"

"Whatever. I don't wanna talk about it. I'm going back to the party" Evan walked out of the bedroom before Barty even had the chance to reply or even apologize.

"For fuck's sakes" Barty groaned and he covered his face with his hands, falling backwards.

Tuesday, August 3rd, 1976

By the time dinner actually started, Evan and Barty weren't on speaking terms. Barty thought Evan was being way overdramatic.

Every time Barty would look over at Evan, the boy would be staring out the window. It made Barty feel really shitty.

He knew what Evan's parents were like. They always pushed him to do things he didn't want to, abused him if he didn't, locked him away when he's disobedient or going through one of his episodes.

When Barty and his parents left, both of them were wasted and went to bed almost immediately.

Barty spent the rest of the night getting high in his room, sitting on the window sill. He rolled up a joint, sat on his open window, and looked out on the garden. He hummed a Led Zeppelin song while he smoked.

____________________________________

The song at the beginning is Memories by Conan Gray!

Yoooo I got a chapter out on time!!!! Thank you to everyone that's still reading this <3333

Fanart🤭:

Im sure you can guess who it is (Barty)

Im sure you can guess who it is (Barty). Ignore that the fingers on the hand holding the phone are all fucked up