Chapter 10

Flutter

Flutter layed inside the den, yawning. It has been three moons since that adventure and both Moon and her were ready to be apprentices! Flutter was as excited as Moon, who could barely contain herself. Brock, Stream and most of the other pups. had already become apprentices, learning better techniques to hunting and fighting. Only her, Spot, Mia, Moon and Silver were becoming apprentices with them, while Kane, Max, and Dawn still wait for their turn. Flutter thought. I'll be the best hunter there is. Moon prodded her. "Come on," she barked. "it's time to become apprentices! Father is ready!" Flutter rised to her paws excitedly, and they headed out.

When they headed out, Silver came to pad alongside with her. "Aren't you excited," she yipped, her silver pelt spiking up. "We are going to train! I always wanted to hunt for my pack." Flutter smiled. "Of coarse! I'm right with you." They all continued outside, Storm sitting under the cliff that attatches to his den, sheltering him from the sun. Brock was watching her as they sat down. As she looked at him, he smiled and nodded encouragement. Storm began to speak. "Are all of you ready to take on apprenticeship?" he asked, his voice echoing the camp. They nodded, excitedly. Storm continue. "Mia and Silver, come up first." The two Husky sisters approached the Alpha, with eagerness and respect. "Mia," he said. "From this day forward you will train to learn how to fight, as a patroller. Your mentor shall be Stripes. " The short canine touched her nose, and she backed up, sitting beside him. Flutter watched Silver, smiling. "As for you, Silver," he continued. "You will learn how to train to hunt, like a hunter. Your mentor will be Cristy ." The large St. Bernard touched Silver's nose. As she went to her mentor, Flutter and Moon approached. "Flutter, you shall hunt, like a hunter. Your mentor shall be. . ." Storm thought for a moment. "Sam." Flutter was very excited. The lead hunter! Wow! Flutter trekked up to the large Dalmation. "What an honor!" Flutter barked. Sam chuckled, bending his neck to touch his nose to hers. "An excited one you are." It was Moon's turn. "Moon, you shall train to fight, like a patroller. Your mentor shall be Jackal." Flutter frowned, knowing she couldn't train with her sister. However, they were both happy, and she watched Moon touch her nose to the strange looking dog.

Moon

Moon sat with her mentor, Jackal. She was very excited to start training. They had watched Spot become an apprentice and train to be a patroller, like herself, mentor being Lily. Jackal smiled down at her. "Are you ready to explore the forest yet?" he asked kindly, in his weird accent. Moon wagged her tail. "Really? Yeah!" she replied. He rose to his paws and went over to Lily, who was with Spot. "Lily, would you like to join us in showing the forest?" Jackals ears perked with curiosity, and hope. Lily's blue eyes beamed with excitement. "Of coarse," she barked. "these youngsters should be able to learn together!" Spot grinned, and looked at Moon. She smiled back happily.

As the canines entered the forest, Moon could sense the fresh air that kept life in the forest. But it was different from the other part of the forest she's been in. Jackal perked his ears at a bird beginning it's song, then looking down at her. "When patrolling, you must make sure you're aware of where you are." As Moon nodded, Lily raised her light grey muzzle to the huge oak west of them. "This place is known as the Tree of Life," she announced. "this place is where you mark the pack boundries at." As Moon observed the tree, she noticed an owl clinging on one of the branches, gazing directly at Spot and her. She tensed, remembering the story Dawn had mentioned, with the owl, resulting in her ears and Max's tail being removed from them. Could this be the owl that possibly did that to them? Moon shuddered at the thought, being interupted by her mentor "Come on, let's continue, we still have a lot to show." Moon shook the thought away and hopped off after Jackal, new places awaiting them.