Chapter 39

Back in the Paldea Region, we find ourselves rejuvenated after completing the Kitakami journey. With that adventure behind us, it's time to resume our regular routine – attending classes, preparing for four more challenging Gym battles, facing two more formidable Titans, infiltrating three additional Team Star Bases, and striving to earn two more Contest ribbons.

Serena and I proudly display our accomplishments: the Gym badges from Cortondo, Artazon, Levincia, and Casscafara, the Titan badges earned by defeating Stony Cliff, Open Sky, and Luring Steel Titans, and the Star badges we acquired after defeating Giacomo and Mela. Additionally, I proudly showcase the three Contest ribbons I obtained at Artazon, Zapapico, and Porto Marina. Our journey continues with new challenges and exciting adventures on the horizon.

As we return to our regular classes, our classmates are utterly captivated by the presence of our new friend, Ogerpon. They have heard tales of the legendary Ogre and the Loyal Three but seeing an Ogre in person is an entirely new experience for them. The classroom buzzes with excitement and curiosity, and even Professor Jacq expresses a keen interest in learning more about this remarkable Pokémon.

To our surprise, this week happens to be the day when our parents and friends come to visit the school. Serena's parents, as well as mine, are among the visitors. However, upon meeting them, we quickly notice that Kabu, Serena's father, is conspicuously absent.

"Mom? Where is Dad?" Serena inquires, her expression filled with concern. Her mother sighs and turns around, drawing our attention to a surprising sight. We see Kabu in conversation with... Mela? The unexpected encounter leaves us wondering if Kabu had some prior connection with Mela that we were unaware of.

"Dad!" Serena and I decide to seek him out, which causes Mela to step back slightly, a hint of unease in her demeanor. "You..."

"Ash and Serena, hello again," Kabu greets us, his tone casual. Serena, intrigued by the situation, asks, "So Dad... you know Mela?"

"Mela?" Kabu appears puzzled. "Did you change your name as well, Mellie?"

Mela turns away a bit, and Serena gasps in realization, "Wait... you are Mellie? But..." The revelation takes us by surprise, as we had no idea that Mellie, Serena's cousin from her father's side, was disguised in such a different outfit and hairstyle, not to mention using a different name. The shocking truth leaves us both astonished.

"I dropped that name a long time ago; it only brings back painful memories," Mela responds defensively. "Now that you know, what do you want?"

Kabu is visibly concerned as he questions her, "Mela, we've been worried about you ever since you lost contact with us all those months ago. And we also heard that you didn't even go to school and joined some sort of Team Star. What have you been thinking?"

"I don't need to answer you; what I am doing is my business and mine only." With that, she abruptly storms off, leaving us bewildered by the encounter.

As my parents and friends arrive, my mom inquires, "So what's wrong with Mellie?" Serena and I proceed to explain the entire situation regarding Team Star and recount the conversation Mela had with Director Clavell on the day we raided the Team Star Fire Base.

My Dad remarks, "So you still don't know everything about Team Star?"

"Yeah... we were just thinking about going to the third base; first is Giacomo, and then Mela... I wonder if the other three are also our friends as well," I ponder aloud, a sense of determination growing within me to uncover the truth about Team Star and its members.

"Well, we can deal with Mellie later," my Dad sighs, putting our family matters on hold for now. "I also want to talk to you about the Loyal Three, if you don't mind."