Idiot (kyalin)

A/N: So basically I watched entire 19 seasons of grey's anatomy in a month and now im watching station 19 and missed writing kyalin so here's Lin getting hurt and Kya seeing her at a hospital while working. Established and not hidden relationship. All I know about medical stuff is from watching grey's and even then i feel like with bending involved it would work differently so idk

Kya was hanging out at the emergency room, talking to a work friend of hers while eating some apple chips. It was a slow day. At least until first responders barged in with somebody on the gurney. Some healers rushed towards but Kya wasn't working the ER, she was just hanging out with the nurses so she kept on eating her chips.

She overheard one of the first responders, though. He said something about a big bust and more police officers coming in.

That made her look in the direction of the person on the gurney.

She took a deep breath, put down her chips, and walked over.

„You are a stupid idiot," Kya said calmly but the anger was easily detectable underneath.

„I was not looking forward to that," Lin winced in pain.

Kya looked at the doctors working on the metalbender.

„The temperature from the blow melted the amor and burned her," one of them summarized.

„Idiot," she commented. One of the doctors, a young one looked at Kya, terrified he'd done something wrong.

„It's not you, ignore the names," Tolin, a healer who had worked with Kya for a while and had seen some of those scenes before calmed the trainee down.

„You should see the bad guys," Lin said back.

„You should shut up and think about how stupid you are," Kya scolded again. „Reckless idiot," she added, observing people working on Lin. She noticed they were trying to take the armor off first but she stopped them. „You're going to hurt her more!"

„What? How do you want us to treat the burns under the metal?" Tolin asked.

„It melted, right onto her skin, you want to rip it off?" Kya asked rhetorically.

„Don't rip it off," Lin winced at the idea.

„Shut up, moron," Kya shot a glare. „You," she looked over at the trainee. „Keep cooling off the armor, cover as much area as you can,"

„What do you want to do?" Tolin asked.

„We need to slowly get under the uniform, separate the metal from the skin, and then get it off and finish up healing the burns," Kya explained. „I see your left arm is the worst. What about your ribs and waist on this side?" she turned to Lin.

„Doesn't feel as bad," the metalbender said with a struggle.

„Let's get started," Kya commanded before she bent the water and started slowly getting it under Lin's uniform.

Her mind was filled with worry. It wasn't the first time she saw Lin in a hospital but it was the first time it looked this bad. She wasn't sure who she wanted to yell at more, other doctors around for almost making Lin's wounds worse, or at Lin for getting herself in this situation at all.

„Chief Beifong!" Kya heard a voice behind her call out. Soon, she saw a figure moving towards them. Once she turned around and saw who it was, she was relieved of a worry she didn't know she had.

„Mako," Kya looked over him before dropping her work on Lin and hugged him tightly. „At least you're ok," she sighed with relief and went back to Lin.

„Mako, report," Lin commanded.

„No reporting now," Kya stopped Mako from talking. „Kid, check him out, they were probably in there together," she ordered the trainee.

„I've got cleared already," Mako protested.

„I don't care," Kya dismissed, the fire bender sighed in defeat and went away with the trainee.

„Kya-," Lin started talking but got cut off quickly.

„Shut up,"

„No, I-," she started speaking again but this time Tolin cut her off.

„Chief, I think it's best if you stay quiet and let us work,"

After a while Kya and Tolin finished working underneath Lin's uniform.

„I think we're done," Kya sighed. „It's time to get that armor off, Lin," she added.

„It usually sounds like more fun," Lin responded with a chuckle before starting to bend her uniform off. Kya stopped her from doing that.

„I'll take care of that," Kya leaned in and started unlocking the latches on Lin's uniform. It wasn't the first time she's done that but just like Lin had said, usually that was more fun.

„You're quick," Tolin chuckled. „I always struggle with those,"

„Practise makes perfect," Kya joked as well. She took the unlatched armor off of Lin, revealing burned skin underneath. „This is going to be easy now. Tolin, get me aloe gel and you can go see if you can help others,"

„She's my patient," Tolin protested. They haven't seen many as interesting cases so she was eager to stay.

„I have to call her names some more, I'm not sure if you want to stick around for that," Kya half-joked.

That made Tolin roll her eyes and walk away. Kya started working on Lin's burns. It didn't look good. It looked awful. It wasn't something Kya wouldn't be able to handle seeing on anyone else but this was Lin, her Lin. Tolin came back with the gel Kya asked for and quickly disappeared. The waterbender stayed quiet, if she spoke up she'd either end up yelling at Lin and causing a scene or crying.

„Kya," Lin spoke up after a while.

„Don't talk to me now," Kya said quietly, not looking up from Lin's arm.

So Lin didn't talk. She let Kya work in silence. Mako came around a few times but Lin quickly signaled him to walk away.
She recognized that Kya needed to work in peace.

After Kya finished treating the burns with waterbending, she let the water down a nearby drain and closed the curtain around them. She sat down on the bed, her expression softened. She moved messed up hair from Lin's face. „Idiot," she said before kissing Lin.

„You are not letting me live this down, are you?" Lin smirked.

„I probably am. I won't let you go back to work too soon, though," Kya smiled. She stood up and grabbed the aloe gel. „You need to moisturize the burns," she squirted the gel over Lin's arm before starting to spread it all over. „You're lucky I was here, otherwise you'd have some pretty bad scarring."

„I love you," Lin said causing Kya to take a pause in spreading the gel and look up.

„Then stop almost dying on me, ok?" the waterbender said softly.

„You know I won't," Lin sighed.

„I do. It doesn't matter I will hate it any less," Kya went back to spreading the gel. After a while, she wrapped Lin's arm in bandages and finally looked up at her again. „I love you too," she kissed Lin. „Idiot," she added before disappearing into the emergency room behind the curtains.