CHAPTER ONE

ALORA

"I think you need some chamomile tea, something to ease your nerves," my friend Kianga suggested, noticing that I was feeling anxious. I adjusted the straps of my personalised silk bridesmaid gown, getting ready for my older brother's wedding to her older sister.

This was the wedding of the season, as everyone had been talking about it for the past eleven months. Our parent's estate had been bustling with people for a whole week now, and Kianga and I were getting ready for the big day.

While we were waiting for our turn to do our makeup and get dressed, I couldn't help but feel stressed out. My long curly wig was already tied into a fishtail braid at the nape of my neck, with two loose curly strands hanging in front of my face.

I was worried about everything - how my hair looked, how my dress fit, how I would walk down the aisle in front of all those people. "Chamomile tea?" I asked, my voice reflecting my disbelief. "I need a joint, Kia. That's what I need. Have you seen my lighter?" I started rummaging through my bag, trying to find my lighter.

Kianga sighed and passed me her own beige Zippo lighter. "Sade won't like this," she said, referring to the bride. She placed her hands on her waist and gave me a disapproving look. "And I want that lighter back." She pointed her French-tipped manicured index finger in my direction.

"Please. Sade wishes she was smoking right now." I rolled my eyes and stepped out onto the balcony. Kianga followed close behind me.

"Are we still not talking about the love of your life attending the wedding?" Kianga asked with a small smile on her round face. "And he's the reason you're acting extra bitchy today?"

I sighed and took a puff of the joint. "It's not just him," I said, feeling a little calmer. "It's everything. The wedding, the people, the pressure. I just need to relax."

Kianga nodded understandingly. "Well, you look beautiful," she said, giving me a reassuring smile. "And everything will be fine. Just take a deep breath and enjoy the day."

As I was standing outside with Kia, the sound of a knock on the main door caught my attention, which made me  pause before answering her question. The door opened, and Sade, the bride-to-be, walked in gracefully. Her voice grew louder as she came closer, asking us what we were doing outside. Her eyes widened as soon as she saw us smoking, but she seemed relieved at the same time.

Kia offered her the joint, and Sade took a long pull. "I'm losing my shit! And I can't drink because I don't want to be drunk at my wedding," she exclaimed, trying to calm herself down.

"She's a lightweight," Kianga explained, shaking her head.

Sade looked stunning with her dark brown skin covered with glam makeup. Her eyelids shimmered from her sparkly light brown eyeshadow, and her cheeks glowed with a golden shimmer in the sunlight. Her thirty-inch long lace wig was tied up into a neat high bun, with a white gold floral hairpin crowning the front.

"You look gorgeous," I complimented her with a small smile on my face before asking, "Why are you freaking out? Isn't this the happiest day of your life?"

Her brown matte lips broke into the biggest smile I've ever seen as she replied, "It is! I can't wait to walk down that aisle and straight into my man's arms." She sighed happily before taking another pull and passing me the joint. "It doesn't stop the nerves though. Seeing my whole family, with his, I mean your whole family. And your family is huge, Lora." I nodded my head, completely understanding what she meant. I had witnessed the immense pressure the two of them had been under ever since my brother popped the question. As he was the firstborn son, everyone had been making a big deal out of this wedding. I smiled and gave her an encouraging look, commenting, "And you're marrying the firstborn. No pressure though."