CHAPTER SIX

ALORA

"Am I the only one who's feeling anxious?" Sade asked as she chopped up vegetables and placed them in the pot. She was preparing the biggest dinner I have ever seen being prepared from my kitchen. She had been cooking since seven this morning. Where did she even find these pots?

With a resounding thud, the cutting board was forcefully slammed onto the kitchen island"I know I'm not standing in this house by myself!" Her naturally loud voice raised a notch.

"Jesus, sorry." Kianga put her phone down on the counter and focused her attention on her sister. "We're all freaking out sis. No one knows what to do with themselves, look at Zuri, she's  tuning the world out." She pulled her in for a quick hug.

"Tuning the world out?" I smirked as she approached the ottoman I was resting my red bottom heels on, "Seriously?"

"You're the best with motivational speech shit, what the fuck was I supposed to say?" She laughed and sat down next to me. "We haven't heard from them in hours."

Zuri took off her headphones and joined us on the couch. She rested her head on my shoulders and let out a deep sigh. "Tell me they're okay Al."

I touched the ends of her light brown riverlocs and rested my hand on her warm cheek. "Of course they're okay." I gently squeezed her cheek into my shoulder. "All five of them together? I mean, do you all remember what happened on your eighteenth birthday?"

She groaned and buried her hands in her face for a second before sitting right up "A fucking nightmare."

"What happened?" Kianga and Sade asked at the same time, both their eyes wide, making them look similar for a split second.

"Well tale as old as time," Zuri started explaining "Ally and I kinda dated the same guy."

Kianga let out a loud laugh and Sade said "Oh no."

"It gets worse, I found out at my eighteenth birthday party." Zuri continued and I grimaced at the memory. It was truly one of those nights where it seemed to get worse by the hour. "Al found out first and she dumped in on the spot. But I was having a smoke on the balcony upstairs, and I heard every word."

"That's soul-crushing," Kianga commented, her blonde French curls bouncing from side to side as she shook her head.

"Now that I look back, he wasn't all that." Zuri laughed "I was just a girl guys, don't judge." She showed the room his photo.

"Damn. What was I thinking?" I tilted my head to the side trying to make the picture better.

Sade leaned over the couch to get a closer view. "He's not ugly." She shrugged her shoulder and also tilted her head to the side.

We all burst out laughing "Oh come on, Sade. Be for fucking real." Kianga said in between laughs. 

"It's hard to believe but I was crushed. Way more crushed than this one anyway." She pointed her thumb at me.

"I liked him." I protested

"Liked him?" They all mused at the same time, giving me a knowing look. I rolled my eyes and let Zuri continue her version of the story.

"She liked him like she does every guy. B-"

"Except for one," Kianga smirked at me

"Exactly!" Zuri said clapping her hands together. "You get it!"

"Because I get her." Kianga laughed "We need to hang out more girl. But please continue."

"I was feeling him and even worse, I thought he was feeling me. We had been seeing each other for three months. So I was crushed, at my eighteenth birthday party. My brother, Simba, surprised me by showing up. When all three of my brothers found me, I was crying and my makeup was a mess. And of course, when Simba showed up, nothing mattered anymore." She looked at me with a large smile on her face.