The Handsome Friend in the Woods

Mildred giggled as she watched Otuk— the Primitive Weasel who was her childhood friend

Mildred giggled as she watched Otuk— the Primitive Weasel who was her childhood friend. The loin-clothed weasel prancing around with the eight, unclothed, Wild Weasel kits she and Wyatt had adopted. They summoned all sorts of flowers, trees, and glistening rocks.

Mildred gave a small, happy sigh as she watched some of the glistening pebbles skip across the pond. It was a nice break from seeing all the gadgets and manufactured food products that Industrialized Mustelids would summon in the city.

Mildred's smile widened as Otuk landed by her side, giving her a fond smile. The loin-clothed Primitive Weasel handed her one of the curling flowers he summoned. Mildred returned his smile and gently took the flower.

Later that day, Mildred was returning to her house in the city. The small-framed weasel was walking down the sidewalk, surrounded by hovering strollers—each was carrying one of her eight adopted Wildling kits. Most were resting soundly, others were tussling and snarling in their sleep.

Soon, she was in the kitchen, staring at the pot of boiling stew she was making for dinner. There was a pensive look on her face as she clasped her hands by her chest. She began to picture the boiling pot transforming into a wooden, cup-like object. She imagined the stove transforming into a pile of sticks with flames, their heat cooking the contents in the wooden cup—which was filled with berries, herbs, and all sorts of sources that the Primitive Weasels in Otuk's tribe had collected.

Mildred was oblivious to the white hole materializing behind her. Wyatt tumbled out, a daring smile on his face.

"Hey! You finally got those Wildlings to sleep!" Wyatt affectionately nudged his paw against Mildred's shoulder.

Mildred broke out of her trance, spinning around. As soon as she locked eyes with Wyatt, a surge of elation swept through her. She forgot about her recent fantasy and gave a small laugh. "Oh yes! But don't give me the credit— I wouldn't have soothed a single kit if I didn't bring back some of these aromatic flowers." She smiled at the curled flower she was holding.

Wyatt raised an eyebrow, his smile faltering. "Otuk gave you that?" There was a hint of concern in his voice.

Mildred gave a nod. She shifted her gaze from the flower to Wyatt. Her smile also faltered, replaced by a look of worry. "Oh...please don't worry, dear." She stifled a giggle. "Even when I used to live in his tribe before my parents moved to the city, he was always just a cute pet to me."

Wyatt's mischievous smile returned and he sniggered. "A pet, huh?"

"Yep." Mildred stood on her tiptoes and gave Wyatt's cheek an affectionate nudge with her snout. They gazed at each other, both seeing the sincere glow of fondness in each other's eyes.

After Wyatt and Mildred nudged snouts, a loud cry sounded in the other room. Mildred gave a gasp and hurried toward the halls.

"Oh..." her small voice sounded as she disappeared around a wall. "We'll have to summon more rooms for each of these kits soon..."

Wyatt gazed after her, his whiskers twitching in amusement. He had been reluctant to adopt the Wildling kits. He had only agreed to raise them with Mildred since Wyatt wanted to be the "cool dad" to someone— their biological son, Bennis, knew how to take care of himself and would reject any parenting actions from both Mildred and Wyatt.

But as Wyatt hurried over to help Mildred calm down some of the rambunctious Wildling kits that had woken up, he was grateful that he had grown to genuinely enjoy caring for these little rascals. It meant a lot that Mildred chose to bring them to the city, to raise them with him.