Chapter 16: I Said Hi to the Damn Poodle

They decided to rest for a few hours at Medusa's restaurant

Percy wasn't exactly crazy about the idea; after all, this was still a monster's lair, and the statues were both creepy and horrible due to their everlasting sobs of terror.

Still, when Song-ee carefully laid a hand to the back of her head, winced, and muttered about how tender the spot was from when Medusa had actually thrown her across a clearing, Percy's mind was made up.

"Here," he said, making sure to keep his voice soft and gentle as he settled down next to Song-ee with a square of ambrosia in his hand. He glanced at the curled up figure of Will across the small fire they had made, and he muttered, "he knocked right out, huh?" 

"Thanks," Song-ee said, her voice just as low as she carefully took the golden square and began to nibble on it. With each bite, the cut on her forehead began to close slowly, and he wasn't too proud to admit he let out a small sigh of relief when she chewed on the last bit and blood stopped slowly dripping down her face. "I'm not surprised. Will's one of the best healers in camp, but singing to all of us like that must have taken a lot out of him." 

"I'm supposed to be guiding you and you all keep getting hurt," Grover said, sounding miserable from his spot next to Will's sleeping form as he chewed despondently on a couple of daisies that had cropped up at Song-ee's insistence. "Some satyr I am." 

"I'm pretty sure you saved our butts, actually," Percy said. "Your flying skills were awesome, man." 

"Awesome's a stretch," Annabeth said, looking tired as she leaned against a tree nearby and absentmindedly sucked on some nectar while she did. "But yeah. You saved our butts, Grover - flying in those shoes are a feat and you managed to keep Medusa's attention divided. In fact, all of you did great." 

"Even me?" Percy couldn't help but tease. 

Her gray eyes were piercing and just a little uncomfortable as she stared at him, tilted her head slightly, and finally bestowed upon him a faint smile, his heart leaping to his throat as she said, "especially you. Not everyone can claim that they killed two legendary monsters. Maybe you were meant for this quest after all." 

Percy looked down at his feet, where he still wore Grover's chunky sneakers. He felt shy all of a sudden, which was ridiculous because he had never been a shy person in his life, but his voice was quiet all the same as he mumbled, "thanks. Your strategy pulled off, so it's your victory as much as mine." 

"Annabeth's right," Song-ee said from beside him, her hand easily slipping into his and tangling their fingers together as they smiled at each other. "This quest was meant for all of us. We wouldn't survive without one another. If Will were awake, he would agree." 

As if on cue, Will snuffled in his sleep, a soft snore escaping his lips while he mumbled something under his breath. The rest of them exchanged looks of fondness, exhaustion finally starting to settle in as the last bits of adrenaline began to fade away.