The Flowers are in Bloom

The morning fog has subsided somewhat, but vision is still not one hundred percent clear. The journey to our destination is slow, and I am enjoying it to the fullest.  Resting my head against the half opened window and close my eyes as the breeze ruffles my hair past my face. The world seems perfect at this moment.

I open my eyes all of a sudden and look at Sagar. He has been staring at me. I blink and he turns away, embarrassed. I flush and look down. To alleviate some of the awkwardness, I say, 

"Pretty foggy today, isn't it?" 

Atta girl, Pakhi. Talk about the weather. I internally roll my eyes at myself.

"Yeah, it's a little bit hard to drive today. I hope you don't mind that we're going so slow?" Sagar says.

"As if we have somewhere important to be," I chuckle.

"Some of us have jobs to do," he comments.

"And the rest of us are, what?" I scoff.

"The rest of you are giving us strength to continue," he sighs. "Oh, by the way, what did you do, back at Kolkata. Forgive me, I never asked."

"I was employed at a private school," I lie easily. I have been telling people this, ever since I've left Kolkata.

"Did you leave your job?" he asks.

"No, I was laid off." I look out the window with a glimmer of sadness for my non-existent teaching job.

"Oh, I'm sorry. If you want, I can talk to some people for the local schools around here, see if I can get you an interview. That is," he stammers a little, "if you are planning on staying around for a little longer."

His face is red. So is mine. I nod.

"It would be very kind of you. I actually do not possess the required qualification, though, I am afraid." I tell him.

"Don't worry about it. You've completed your graduation, yes?" he asks.

"Yes, major in English." I reply.

"I can make some calls, for sure. There are a few primary schools around here, they don't ask for much, and the salary is just enough to get by. But it will help you get off your mind off things. Also, the timings are good, just a few hours, five days a week."

"Sounds good." I muse. "I need something to occupy myself with."

The rest of the journey went by in a blur of colours and cool air. The whole valley is renewing itself after the bitter cold, and rhododendrons and orchids poke their heads through the viridescence. Very soon, the silence turns to noise, and scores of vehicles are seen on the road, signifying the end of our journey.

"This is the Mall Road," Sagar huffs as he pulls his luggage towards the Intersection of the Mall Road. We deposit our luggage near the fountain where tourists share a circular bench. Thousands of pigeons flock the fountain, or so it seems.

"Would you look after the luggage while I look around for a place to stay?" he says.

"Yeah, sure," I reply hesitatingly, still looking at the birds.

"What's wrong?" he asks, concern flooding his face at the sight of my expression.

"Nothing." I take a deep breathe, and shudder.

"You're afraid of birds?" he asks incredulously.

"Yes," I say through clenched teeth. "Go on, laugh."
"Well, it's no laughing matter," he smiles, "but your name is Pakhi." 

He bursts out laughing.

"Yeah, my parents didn't think this was a legitimate fear until I was old enough. Thereafter, the birds at my house have mysteriously disappeared every time my parents brought one. Eventually, they stopped buying these pests." I tell him.

"You're scaring me." He laughs. "Can you stay here or do we need to move?"

He looks around.

"No, I can bear for a while. Unless some idiot bird look at me or come towards me, I can hold my breathe and brave it."

He leaves. I try to ignore as many birds as possible and concentrate on the horses neighing around us, but my eyes dart back to the pesky little death machines nibbling near my feet. After about an eternity, Sagar returns.

"Well, most of the places are full," he says as he picks up his bag and urges me to follow him. He walks in front of me, scattering away the birds, and I follow close behind. 

"It's the busiest time of the year for them, as weather is very pleasant in the beginning of March." He hesitates.

"We're gonna have to stay on the road?" I ask.

"Um, no. I found a nice big hotel for us to stay, but there is only one room in it. If you don't mind sharing the room..." he trails off, embarrassed.

"No, no," I say quickly. "It's completely fine by me."

I am glad that neither of us can see each others faces right now.