A Breathe of Fresh Air

Sagar's POV

The phone has been ringing continuously. I let it ring. I deserve this vacation. It has been such a difficult couple of months. They can handle a few things without me.

Pakhi left by herself when I told her I had to meet someone. I lied. I am taking this few minutes away from everyone to sip a cup of tea and enjoying the chicken platter in this quaint, little cafe. Fine, maybe it isn't little. It's one of the most popular place here.

I enjoy the view of the hills through the open balcony as I sip the tea. It's good, sweet and creamy. The morning tea was a disaster, but Pakhi seemed to enjoy it. I, however, pretended that it was some herbal medicine. Tea is supposed to be sweet, everyone knows that.

She makes me smile. The tension in my head probably needs an output, and it's possible that is the reason I feel this way. I don't think about my problems when she is with me. I am glad for her company. 

Besides her companionship... I don't want to think. There is so much in my world that a woman wouldn't want to deal with. And Pakhi certainly has her own burdens, I can see that in her eyes- the blank look she wears when she isn't paying attention to her facade. 

Problem is, my thoughts are no longer under my command.

Lost in my thoughts, I don't see him approaching me until he raps my table with his knuckles. I turn, my vision unfocused, until I hear his deep grunt. It snaps me into reality.

"What do you think you are doing?" I growl at him.

"Easy, bro. I just thought I saw you and wanted to say hello, and remind you of the..." he rubs his thumbs over the index and middle finger.

"Are you insane?" I look around to see if anyone is following our conversation. No one seemed to. 

"Look, man. I did what you asked. I am here to get paid. It's as simple as that," he says.

"Shut up. We are not discussing anything here. Meet me two days later at Kurseong. I will text the address."

I storm out of the place. You cannot eat in peace anywhere around here. These idiot informants are sure to ruin your life.

I hitchhike a ride to the Peace Pagoda, where Pakhi texted me from. The weather is pleasant, a little cloudy. I enjoy the cool breeze on the pillion of a motorbike. The driver is friendly, a little too much if I'm being honest. 

As I reach my destination, I feel small droplets of rain on my face. I walk up to the road in front of the Peace Pagoda, and I see the grand, white structure. It brings me instant peace.

The rain starts to fall in large drops. I see her coming down the white stairs, clad in a white, floral kurta, her hair flowing behind her. She looks at me with a radiant smile, and I can feel my worries melt away. 

"Hey. Are you free now?" she asks.

"Yes. When did you arrive here?" I ask her.

"A few minutes ago. I was going up when I saw you, so I came down here. Let's go. We'll pray together." She tugs on my wrist.

"I don't think I want..." I say, and stops mid-sentence. She looks at me expectantly, and again, my mind slips out of mind out of my control as I stare at her face, a steady trickle of rainwater on her face, her eyes crinkled up; her hair, in wet curls on her face.

 "Yeah, let me just stash my shoes."

I walk up with her to the top of the Pagoda, and she lets go of my hand before bowing down and press her hands together in a silent prayer. I try to gauge what is going on in her head, what she is praying for. I try to keep my own unbidden wishes- that she would somehow include me in her wishes.