Chap. Two: Almond Tofu

As time passed, the relationship between Ranfa and Morax grew more and more strained. Morax, overbearingly protective of his only flesh and blood, wished that she didn't insist on risking her life on the battle. Ranfa, at her wits end with how easily her brother allowed his emotions to cloud his judgment, argued that if Guizhong could fight by his side then she should be given that right as well.

    Their verbal spats were often of catastrophic scale, hapless enemy soldiers easily losing their lives if they wandered too close to the destructive forces of nature. While most who have been unfortunate enough to stand on the wrong side of the battlefield have lost their lives to either the haunting melody of her erhu or the poisonous fangs of her familiars, make no mistake - Ranfa was the younger sister of a war god. Her own battle prowess was nothing to laugh at: devastating stalagmites erupted from the barren land with each step she took; overwhelming tsunamis were pushed back to sea by earthen walls erected with a wave of her hand; even the most flimsy of weapons became blades of legend when held by her hands.

    The only flaw that prevented her from utilizing her full strength at all times was the unique fragility of her constitution. Her body would absorb the malice and ill intent of both the living and dead, her previous, more peaceful, life spent mostly sequestered in the family estate. She could alleviate the effects by releasing her own malice during battle, but the scale of the cumulative loathing lingering from the aftermath of the mutual massacre was too great for her single body to effectively purge without some damage to her own mind and flesh.

    The only ways she could purify the negative energy outside of the warfield was by either bathing in pure water, which was beginning to become scarce within the borders of Liyue, or releasing the malice with the music she wove with her erhu. Adding the fact that she needed to always be wary of ambushes by enemy soldiers wishing to take out a key figure of the Liyuan army, she could never truly rest.

    Well, until she met him.

✧ ೃ༄*ੈ✩

    "While your persistence is quite adorable... could you at least let me have lunch first?" Ranfa chuckled from her reclined position upon the vibrant green grass bordering a small creek, a rare patch of peace that she had discovered by chance. "This is the third time this week that you've tried to kill me. I might start thinking that you like getting hog-tied by Xue."

    A handful of steps away, Xue lazily flicked her tongue towards the young Yaksha's face, her powerful body firmly wrapped around his body and keeping his arms trapped to his torso. Her brother, Hua, didn't even pay the man any attention and lay stretched out in the sun, dozing underneath the warmth.

    "I've been given orders to subdue you," the Yaksha stated blankly, a prominent vein on his neck strained as he attempted to push against Xue with no avail.

    "How about I give you new orders to take a rest?" Ranfa suggested, half-joking as she sat up and brushed grass shards from her long tresses. Her every movement was controlled and graceful, each one carrying the promise of death if provoked. The Yaksha couldn't help but notice her flawless porcelain skin, her delicate fingers better fit to serenade an enraptured audience with an instrument of life rather than mercilessly slaughter spellbound soldiers with an instrument of death. Any other who gazed into her acid green eyes would see nothing but madness and sadistic pleasure as she witnessed their final moments at her hand, yet the Yaksha saw something different.

    Bottomless sorrow for the life that could never be again.

    Unconditional love for the life that she was able to protect.

    Gently simmering rage towards the one who instigated such tragedies, and towards herself who could not stop them.

    Endless compassion towards the ones forced to fight against their will, even a monster who had killed countless people.