November 20, 1938

Dear Diary,

This past month has been horrible! The Nazi dragged us from our house and put us in the nearest concentration camp. They drove my family most of the way. When we got out of the car the solider pushed Ursel, Mother and I in a different direction then Bernardo and my father. I called out to my brother in fear. He stopped and looked at me with tears in his eyes. He sent me a wave before being pushed back into walking. That is the last time I saw my brother.

When we entered the camp everyone looked up to see who had been taken from their home this time. They led us to the cabin they are in now. It was dreary and cramped. It had one medium sized bed, a table, and a stool. The reason I say theirs instead of ours is because the soldiers put me in a small room alone. I guess they think I am old enough to take care of myself.

Since I am only thirteen the only thing I know how to do is wash laundry. They decided to "put me to good use." I spend the days hand washing, hanging, and folding the soldiers uniforms. Tiring as it is, it keeps my mind off the troubling thoughts that go through my head. They always resurface at night before I go to sleep; but I am grateful for the time when the thoughts do not plague my mind.

On my first official day they asked me a few questions. My age, the things I did back home, etc. Then they gave me a tour around camp. Afterwards they wasted no time on setting me to work. I was to finish seventy uniforms by the end of the day. I finished just as one of the soldiers came to get me at sunset. He gave me some bread and water before sending me to my room for the night. It's really late. I'll tell you more tomorrow. Night!

- Nadette