Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve: The New York
Slasher
...

"In the pursuit of justice, the truth may be the only casualty."

...

A few hours ago...

Toby cleared his throat, preparing to deliver the news. "Finally, here he is. Our first suspect, Darren Wilden—" He paused, making Emily's heart drop. "He's actually the son of very rich and powerful crime boss, Darrell Jackson, "The Butcher" a vicious dope slinger. Man is responsible for 80% of the cocaine and heroin that is trafficked in New Jersey and New York. The most important lead about these guys is that Darrell, this grimey piece of shit, also, is in on trafficking underage girls. Some of them as young as thirteen." Toby read off the long-winded criminal history of the infamous pair.

"Word on the streets is he's responsible for several unsolved murders of his victims. Between the corruption going on and people being afraid, charges were dropped—"

Emily felt sick. She couldn't stand to hear another word about these disgusting people. She had to find Mark and solid evidence to convict them, his whole group. Rid New York and anywhere else she could have these violent scumbags.

"What addresses are on file for them? We check every possible lead and we can find this guy. We don't have long before Chief is up our asses again about a suspect. We also can call and see if any evidence has been located by our forensic team. D-DNA too—" Emily rambled, her head pounding from stress and her breathing becoming slightly strained.

Toby sighed, placing a hand on the panicked woman's shoulder. "Relax, partner. You're going to drive yourself crazy. What you need to do now is. Keep that little love affair with your girlfriend hidden. You can't let any word slip out in the department about her. It's not a good look. I know you said she's a good girl, but you know, it's going to draw unnecessary attention to you,  consequences that may not be in your best interest, Em. Dead working girls and she happens to be conn—" Toby was swiftly cut off by his partner.

"I know that. Alison is a good girl and she's more than a "stripper. That girl has been through alot, I'm not letting her out of my sight if I can help it. Now, let's get to finding our guy." Emily grumbled, her voice short and her hands sweaty. She needed an Oxy.

Now.

The pair packed their equipment, made sure their guns were loaded and they set off for their first lead. A classy strip club in Manhattan, said to have been frequently by Darren and owned by none other than the most powerful man in New York City, Darren's father.

...

"Once we question him, we can take that camera to one of my guys and he'll be able to tell you more about it. Hopefully, we can find whatever is on that tape, I don't know if you and your girl had any "fun", that may have been recorded. It could be used as blackmail." TOBY said in a quiet voice as they headed to the nightclub doors, their demeanor gave off the impression, that they weren't fucking around and it was nothing but the truth. Emily was ready to destroy anyone involved in this horrific trafficking scheme going on, in hopes to free any other girls, who happen to be the victims of vile men and even women.

The nightclub looked like a palace, everything about it screamed rich and powerful and anybody entering it, you knew they were either wealthy or prestigious. It was crowded, smelled heavily of cologne and perfume, everyone was dressed, in designer dresses and suits and ties.

Ugh. Rich people.

Their dress shoes clicked on the worn down black pavement as they walked across the club parking lot. The windy New York air hit Emily's bare
Face, the sun was just starting to set meaning in a matter of time it would be dark and the only thing that would be lighting the streets was the street lights and the open signs of bars which would have people in and out at the hour.

They finally came to a stop when Emily stopped in front of a tall security guy wearing all black with his hands folded in front of him and wearing a pair of black sunglasses, a cold expression on his face and a jagged cut marring his cheekbone.

Emily flashed her badge and Toby simultaneously did the same, stepping in front of Emily to confront the man, who Toby had at least two inches of height on the smaller man.

"NYPD Major Crimes Unit. We need to talk to your boss. Darren Wilden or eh, I'll take his father to as a substitute. They're both under investigation." Toby grumbled, stepping closer to the bouncer, almost close enough to kiss the man, before looking him dead in his eyes. Emily knew he most likely was trying to intimidate the man, and it seemed to be working...

"F-For what?" The man stammered.

"None of your business. Step aside, kid." Emily spat, shoving the man aside as if he was discarded piece of trash and pulled her partner along. "Good work, Cavanaugh." she muttered, offering her hand out for a fist bump.

"You know it, Em," He chuckled, accepting the fist bump as they both scanned around the busy night club for clues on where, Darren might be.

"I'm going to the VIP section and you keep looking around to see what we got." Emily patted him on the back before making a beeline to the VIP area.

...