Chapter Nine

Chapter Eight: Fear

"The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."

Weeks eventually passed. Most of Emily's and Alison's time spent together was going smoothly. The two were closer than ever, and they both knew they couldn't keep denying what was going on. They were meant for each other.

They were falling in love.

Alison knew Darrin ransacked her apartment. She was well aware after their last encounter that he wasn't done with whatever demented plan he'd conjured up in his mind. He was a vile man and she recalled vividly terrifying memories of when he snapped.

That night at the strip club, Darren showed up, drunk and probably high out of his mind in hope of winning her back. Years ago, Alison knew she probably would have believed his false promises and lies, but she wasn't fooled anymore, and she wasn't scared.

Well, at least not until Emily showed up...

Alison liked everything about Emily. How resilient she was. How sexy the brunette was. She couldn't risk getting Emily caught up in her childish games with Darren. She couldn't risk hurting Emily.

She knew Emily could protect herself, but her? Alison didn't want to involve Emily, because it'd complicate things. "As if they weren't already complicated." Alison muttered, shaking her head.

...

Toby sat perched on the end of her desk. It had turned into a fifteen hour day and she didn't know who looked the worst out of them. Girls had been coming up missing the last couple of weeks. The killer seemed to have a type. Blonde and beautiful. All younger women between the ages of twenty to twenty-five beaten and raped, some savagely tortured.

Three women were dead and they didn't have a damn clue, who was murdering the women. Emily did, though. She didn't have a name of the killer. She didn't know how he looked. The profile of the victims all happened to be from disenfranchised backgrounds. Some of them were prostitutes, and most of them were promiscuous strippers.

Emily was knew, Alison needed her more than ever now. Emily wouldn't say it until more evidence is shown, but it seemed to be the work of a calculated serial killer. Someone who was angry or maybe they just enjoyed seeing women in distress, either way Emily had to put a stop to this madness.

She couldn't shake the feeling that someone was targeting these women, but she didn't have any proof. She couldn't even tell her coworker/friend, Toby. Toby was Emily's only genuine friend besides, Hanna Marin. The two met their first week in the police academy, and they were inseparable. Emily never really had many friends growing up, except for Hanna, and she was proud to call Toby her friend.

Emily's ex, Maya St. Germain had spread news around about Emily's genitals and the news spread like a wildfire around the station. Emily was devastated, but she wasn't going to quit. She had worked so hard to keep it a secret, but Toby never treated her any differently. If anything, it made their relationship stronger. She had made a lot of enemies, one in particular, Noel.

Noel was a dickhead least. After Emily broke up with Maya, the pair decided, it would be funny to record themselves having sex and send it Emily. To say the least, Emily was certainly not impressed, heading into the NYPD police station and knocking Noel clean out. Luckily, her supervisor took pity on her and gave her a two week suspension rather than firing her all together. Toby couldn't stop laughing about the incident.