Chapter Seven

A/N: Hey, guys! I'm so glad you guys are enjoying this book! Please do me a favor and leave a comment and a vote. Enjoy! This chapter is a hard one to read. Fair warning. Also, that sex scene you're all craving? Wait for it. Chapters will be a lot longer after this one!

Chapter Seven: Smoke & Mirrors

...

Emily opened her eyes slowly. Her surroundings still smothered in absolute darkness. She looked over at the clock, the bright red numbers reading six a.m.

Emily had to go about her life as if it was before Alison crashed into her life with her seductive eyes and charming words.

She needed to go back to her boring, pathetic life. She had already lived twenty-five years of it. She was pretty sure she could endure a couple more decades. That's how it had to be.

Emily glanced over at the clock once again and saw that it was almost time for work.

She headed out of Alison's bedroom and into the living room. She snagged her leather jacket, her car keys, and made her way to the threshold.

After double-checking that she had everything she needed, she slipped out of Alison's apartment and set off to start her day with a lot less enthusiasm than she had a few days ago.

...

Alison gripped the pillow tightly between her fingers, forcing her eyes shut. She was desperately trying to block out the sounds of Darren grunting above her.

The feeling of his hips hitting her ass at an unforgiving pace. She loathed the feeling of his sweat dripping onto her back with his frantic movements and his beefy hands sloppily groping her breasts.

He thought she liked it, but she hated it. She hated everything about him. She wanted this to be over as soon as possible. She didn't love him anymore. But she was his and there was no escape.

"You're mine, right?" Darren hissed into her ear, urging his body against her back and yanking a fistful of her hair harshly. He didn't give a damn that he heard her whimper in pain.

"Yes," Lie.

"I own you, bitch." He grumbled venomously. "You should be thanking me," he snarled angrily as he released his punishing grip on Alison's hair. He smacked her ass brutishly as she yelped in horror.

"I work my ass off to take care of you." He gritted his teeth angrily, a bitter laugh escaping his thin lips.

He pulled out and spun her around, so he could face her. He positioned his hands around her neck, choking her with a sadistic smirk on his face as he dug his fingers into her skin.

Alison struggled to breathe against his calloused hands, but he wasn't going to let her go until she told him exactly what he desired to hear.

"Thank you, baby. You know I love you." She managed to get out as she felt his grip on her throat weaker. She gasped in relief, a frown evident on her face.

Vomit rose in her throat even though she had lost count of how many times she had uttered those stupid words to him.

It didn't matter how many times she said it, no matter how many times he shouted at her or hit her while he was intoxicated. She would never forgive him, she would never forget and even though he wanted her to - she would never love him.