Chapter Two

Chapter Two: A Familiar Stranger

...

Emily sat in her car, watching the people move around outside. Although she wasn't exactly paying attention. She couldn't seem to get Alison out of her head.

Those mysterious blue eyes, that seductive smirk, and that husky voice. She was completely infatuated with the blonde, and she had only met her yesterday.

Nevertheless, she knew she couldn't be with Alison, of course, she was just a client and the blonde happened to be a stripper.

Emily hadn't properly rested in over a year, she was only twenty-five but felt a decade older. She was losing a one-sided battle with her insomnia. She survived mainly on coffee and pills, yet, she almost appeared normal.

She remembered her days of youth and high school. She had always achieved a high standard. She went to an exclusive private school and then onto the University of Pennsylvania. She'd never really experienced the struggle of youth.

Emily had a few friends, but usually, she preferred to stay to herself. She didn't like parties or being the center of attention. She liked being alone. Most of her time at work and being a homicide detective required the majority of her time.

When she turned eighteen, she joined New York's police force and slowly worked her way up to the top and now, she was a high-ranking, respectable detective.

Her career choice was an obvious disappointment to her family, who expected her to take over her father's company. Her mother, Pam, on the other hand, was Chief of Staff at New York's Children's Hospital. Needless to say, her parents had very high expectations for her.

The sound of a car door opening jolted her out of her raging thoughts. "I've got food." Emily's partner, Toby Cavanaugh announced as he slid into the passenger seat.

"Took you long enough." Emily chuckled jokingly, accepting the bag that was offered to her. She looked down into it and smiled at the appetizing aroma of a burger and fries.

"Thanks."

"No problem." He nodded with a smile and began eating his own food. "Hey, Em?"

"What's up?" She asked faintly as she held the juicy burger up to her mouth before taking a large bite.

"You seem... happy." He spoke abruptly and Emily paused before looking at him.

Why would he say that?

Toby laughed at Emily's bewildered expression before nudging the brown-haired woman's shoulder. "Come on, Fields. I've been your partner for years. You never smile. I know you better than you know yourself. Did you score some pussy last night or something?"

"No. . ." Emily sighed embarrassingly as she blushed and shook her head. She could trust Toby. She trusted him with her life. With their line of work, she had too. They had been in dire situations where all they had was each other and besides, she had no-one else to speak to about this kind of thing.

"I—" she began and Toby waited patiently for her to finish. "I met this girl."

"Is she sexy?" Toby questioned right off the bat.

Emily chortled at that, now that was funny. He was so predictable, but she liked him. He was a good man. "Very sexy and she's seductive as hell."

Toby furrowed his brow before firing off with another question. "How long have you been seeing her?"