12 Hours Earlier, Part 2

The bell rang with a sharp clatter, letting everyone know it was time for lunch. The kid next to Madison jerked up from where he'd been dozing all over their desk.

"And remember, I want at least twenty lines on what you thought Robert Frost was talking about here," Mrs. Leilani told them all as everyone began shoving their stuff into their backpacks and moving to leave the room. "And if you write it out, don't be cute and try to extend words as much as possible on the line because I will dock points for that."

Madison was one of the last to leave, walking up to Mrs. Leilani and handing over her analysis of The Road Not Taken, over thirty lines long. Mrs. Leilani just smiled and shook her head. "Oh Madison," she said, taking the paper. "You're too smart for all of this, you know that right?"

Madison blushed, uncomfortable with the praise, when Kimberly Grace said, "teacher's pet."

Madison wilted, wanting to disappear right then. Mrs. Leilani turned to Kimberly sharply. "Hey," she said. "None of that. Both of you go on to lunch." Then, as Madison turned to leave, she stopped her. "Hey, don't let them get you down, ok? There's nothing wrong with being smart."

Madison knew that. Deep down. Didn't make it feel any better though. "Thanks," she said quietly. "I'll see you next class."

She walked out of the room and down the hallway to the stairs, joining the dwindling crowd as they all made for the cafeteria. As usual, there was a hustle and bustle to it in people's eagerness to take a break from class, grab some food, and chat with friends. Madison tried to stay to the outskirts of it all, wanting to just slip quietly into the cafeteria and grab her lunch and go quietly to her little corner away from it all. But that hope lasted approximately seven seconds before some guys crashed into her, nearly knocking her over and causing her to drop her book.

Hey, person walking here! she wanted to call out but she just sighed and kneeled down, picking it up again before making her way to the cafeteria. The atmosphere was loud and boisterous, the constant chatter of people like a low buzz in the back of her mind. Sometimes she wished she could just have a private tutor. Her life would be so much easier that way. But her parents claimed she spent too much time alone in her room already and wanted her to be more social. Apparently, eating lunch where shouting across the room made your point would help her out.

She took her place in the lunch line, waiting patiently as people grabbed their favorite snacks and treats and found tables. She grabbed her food and walked down the line to where the desserts were placed, hoping to get some chocolate pudding, but there were several people in her way.

"Did you see what she was wearing today? Like, oh my god!"

"I know right!"

"It's like, what is she thinking right now? Those shoes with that top? That is a fashion don't."

Madison tried to squeeze past them but they were completely blocking her way through. All she could do was huff a little and wait for them to be done. But the conversation didn't seem like it would be ending anytime soon, the girls just chatting on. Madison felt like crying out in exasperation. All she wanted was to grab her pudding and find her seat. But after another minute, she gave up, heading for the corner table, sitting down with a slump and eating grumpily. Eustace was already sitting there and looked up in surprise at her sudden entrance but lost interest pretty quickly, going back to his drawings while Madison pulled out her science homework, deciding to at least get Mr. Warners work done so she didn't have to worry about it.

She heard them coming before saw them, some of the background chatter getting louder than the rest. "Nah man, Joshua Williamson is the best Flash writer, hands down."