Dining with a Devil [Síofra]

The soft sound of knocking at my door pulled me from my stupor. I sat upright on the floor, my body aching. How long had I been there? I turned as I heard the door open and watched as an unfamiliar young woman with bright eyes peered into the room. I had expected Leonid.

"Your Highness!" She gasps when she sees me, hurrying towards me. For a moment she pauses, as if touching me would cause her some pain, but she wrests aside her hesitation, takes me by the arm, and helps me to my feet. "I am so sorry..." she says, suddenly pulling away.

"No, no," I reply. "Thank you." We both seem to take the moment to look each other over. I didn't recognize her. She wore familiar clothes, but even how she looked at me made me realize that neither of us knew each other. Large, cornflower blue eyes and blonde hair. "What is your name?"

"Emi, My Queen," she replied softly.

I seized her hands and watched as she tensed for a moment. I swallowed my fear and nerves. Emi was nervous enough for both of us at that moment. I was still Queen. I had to compose myself as such. Still, I grasped at her hands. "I need to know what's happening," I say, dropping my voice to a near whisper. "What is that man planning? What is his goal here?"

Emi's eyes dropped, "I don't know. He's not really speaking to anyone."

I cursed under my breath. It had been a shot in the dark. My frown deepened as I realized that hunger was gnawing at me as much as my curiosity and fear were, brought to the forefront of my thoughts by the smell of food that seemed to hang around Emi. "Would it be difficult to bring me something to eat? I hadn't realized until now that I hadn't eaten since this morning- since before Leonid's arrival, before the beheading of the former King.

"I can't," Emi replies quickly, eyes shooting up to meet mine.

My heart sinks momentarily, and I take a slight step back from Emi. "Why not?"

Taking a deep breath, Emi seemed to compose herself, drawing herself in and standing as if her words had been well rehearsed. "His Majesty, King Leonid, has requested that you join him for dinner."

I stare at Emi blankly. His Majesty? The dead King was barely cold, and the Tyrant had so quickly claimed the title amongst the staff.

"He wishes for you to look presentable."

The words snap me from my bewilderment. Presentable? There is a moment of annoyance at the command, but I look down at myself. I blush in embarrassment and feel my stomach sink. I saw past the wrinkled fabric and saw only the blood that stained it. The moment flashed in my mind. The sound my husband, our dead King, made as he was struck down. How he crumpled before me and bled out. I had thought him mighty and immovable before that moment.

"Will you help me then?"

"It's what I am here for," Emi replies with a slight curtsy.

It became evident that Emi was new to her station and needed clarification about the amount and types of clothing I had. She did her best; I can give her that much. The poor girl seemed desperate to appease me and, in turn, to calm Leonid. Emi gravitated towards darker dresses, and when I asked her why, her response was simple.

"Your husband has died, My Queen. It's only proper you mourn."

In turn, the dress was simple in its appearance: high-waisted and full skirts, the bodice and sleeves tight against me. I appreciated the change of clothes. It refreshed me in a way I hadn't expected, and the compression of it seemed to ground me in the moment.

Emi moves about me in relative silence. The women who had waited on me before would chatter, mainly with each other, and while I would have welcomed it, I appreciated her presence even more. Much like my dress, the makeup she provided me was minimal. Just enough to add color to my cheeks and lips.