Loneliness Calls [Leonid]

This was becoming a routine: lounging in the near-empty dining hall, staring at a small fire in the hearth. I had already drank my fair share of wine, but it had yet to dull my senses. Instead, it seemed to bring everything into focus, and I despised it.

From the moment Síofra left me in that library, she had plagued my thoughts. I was finding it infuriating. What troubled me more was the fact that she had asked about elves. If it wasn't for the book she had clung to, I would have thought that Alamras had revealed himself to her. Would he? I knew the answer to that question, but I wanted my trust in that damned elf to remain intact.

"My King?"

I slowly tear my eyes from the fire, letting my head rest against my chair as I eye Addison. "What is it?" I murmur.

"If I may speak plainly," Addison said softly, "might I suggest you have something to eat? The hour is growing late, and I think it would be best to allow the new kitchen staff to rest."

"Perhaps you're right," I reply, sighing into my drink. I finish what was left of my wine, holding the empty cup to Addison.

"And your Queen?"

I frown and shake my head, looking back at the hearth. "Send some food to her chambers. I don't wish to see her tonight."

"If you think that is wise."

"Are you telling me you think otherwise?" I scoff.

Addison shook his head, "I do not presume anything, my King, but I must warn you that there will be whispers."

I chuckle at the notion. "Whispers?"

"You have overthrown the previous monarchy. You have taken the Queen as a prisoner. The wealthy families and what is left of the royal court are watching your every move."

Slowly, I turn my gaze to Addison. "And who, exactly, would be telling these people whether or not I dine with the Queen?"

"Whispers always abound, my King," Addison replies, holding my stare. "I can only do so much to silence them. You may have to go through the motions of niceties until your coronation-"

"My coronation?"

Addison seems to shift uncomfortably, eyes darting a moment before he manages to regain his composure. "Yes, your coronation. Did you not do this in your previous conquests?"

"My previous conquests were not like this."

"I see. You left them to... rebuild?"

"There were children to rebuild those royal families and kingdoms," I reply, pushing myself to my feet. I turn slowly to Addison. He doesn't move away; he holds my stare once more. "The circumstances here are different."

"Would it have been easier if there had been a child? You would have killed both the previous king and the Queen?"

I frowned as I felt my chest tighten at the thought. "It is not that simple."

The shift in Addison's stare is subtle. "Accession to the throne must happen, whether by you or the Queen. There are no children or relations to stake their claim."

"I do not wish to rule," I say, waving my hand to dismiss Addison.

"Then the Queen-"

"No!" I roar. I bare my teeth like an animal as I seize Addison by the collar of his shirt. "I know the minds of kings and heads of state. She will be seen as easy prey. Killed, kidnapped... worse."

"And you aim to protect her?"

My mouth goes dry as Addison poses the question. Was that it? I wanted to protect Síofra. Yes, but no. There was more to it. Something more profound that I refused to admit even in such a raw moment.

I release my hold on Addison's collar, eyes still boring into his. "Have the kitchen staff prepare a meal for myself and send it to my room. Have another prepared for the Queen. I will take your advice into consideration, but remember your place."

Addison bowed slightly as I left, saying nothing more on the matter. Yet, it lingered in my thoughts. What was Síofra to me? Why did I find myself thinking of her more and more? I came to accept her cold demeanor towards me. How couldn't I? I had torn the world apart just a few days prior. She should loathe me.

Yet, I had seen something shift in her gaze earlier. The blush that blossomed in her cheeks had given me pause. No one had ever looked at me like that and responded to me in such a manner. Despite it all, Síofra had.