Misaligned [Síofra]

I felt the sun's warmth on my face, like a familiar hand coaxing me from my troubled sleep. For a moment, I buried my face further into the lush blankets wrapped around me. I lost myself in the familiar smells and comfort—the scent of fresh food, tea, and my husband.

In an instant, I was awake, sleep the furthest thing from my body. I sit upright in the bed, eyes cast to the empty space beside me as reality washed over me. Looking towards the cold hearth, I spied Leonid lounging on the settee, his back to me as he seemed to be looking over something.

How long had Leonid been there while I slept? I shift in the bed, craning my neck to look at the platter of food and drink before him. It still smelled hot.

"You're finally awake."

I feel my heart race. "How long have you been here?"

Leonid looks at me, his face inscrutable. "Long enough to confirm you were still breathing," he says, a hint of amusement in his voice. "And to enjoy the peace for a moment."

I feel a twinge of resentment at his words but push it aside as I look at the food again. I wet my lips and look back at Leonid. He was still watching me. "Is all of that for me?" I ask.

"Of course," Leonid says with a shrug. "I wouldn't want my property to go hungry."

The warmth in my chest at Leonid's words quickly dies out when I realize he sees me as nothing more than a possession- something to be used and discarded. I frown slightly, unable to stop the expression from flitting across my face.

Leonid studies a moment before nodding towards the food. "Eat."

With a huff, I slip from my bed and sit on the settee, leaving as much space between us as possible. I study the food. Everything prepared, including the tea, was something I enjoyed. I glance at Leonid, but his attention is on the papers in his hand, and his expression is hard to decipher.

I can feel Leonid watching me as I begin to eat, his eyes never leaving my face. He almost seems wary as I take that first bite, as if he is expecting the worst. Yet, the food is delicious, and I find the apprehension in my body begin to melt away. I take a sip of the tea and feel myself smile. The taste of lavender, honey, and lemon is warm and soothing so early in my day.

As I continued to eat, Leonid shifted in his seat and finally broke our silence. "I have business to attend to today," he says, his voice low. "You will remain here, in this room, until I return."

I feel a twinge of fear at his words as I realize how easily I am at his mercy. "What?" I murmur. I dart around the room. I would want for nothing, but the thought of being kept here made me anxious. "Why? Why can't I leave this room?"

Leonid's features are stony as he leans against the settee, crossing one leg over the other. "It's not safe for you to wander the halls alone," he says, his voice measured. "There are dangers around every corner, and I will not risk my property so soon."

I feel a surge of anger at his words, but I can't help the fear that is quickly beginning to suffocate me. "You said a guard would accompany me."

"True," Leonid sighed, tilting his head as he looked me over. "But your husband hasn't been dead nearly a day. A few lingering servants may still have some form of alliance with the fool. It's easier to keep you here, in this room, rather than let you wander."

"What do you expect me to do while you're gone?" I ask, my voice barely above a whisper.

"Whatever you wish," Leonid replied with a shrug. "Read a book, take a nap. I don't care. Just stay put."

I know better than to argue with him, but the thought of being cooped up in this room with nothing to do fills me with dread. "Would I be able to call upon Emi?"

"Emi?" Leonid echoes. "Oh yes, the servant. If you feel the need to see her, she is yours." Leonid stands and moves towards the door without saying another word about the matter.

I scramble to my feet, my heart pounding. "How long?" I blurt out, sounding more desperate than I intended. Leonid glances at me. "How long will you be gone?"

Leonid pauses at the door, his hand resting on the handle. "As long as I need to," he says, his voice hard. "It could be an hour, or it could be all day. I do not answer to you."

I feel a sudden coldness in my stomach at his words. For a moment, I feel like I am truly alone. "Please," I say, my voice trembling slightly. "Is there nothing you can tell me? Even an estimate?"

Leonid regards me momentarily, and I can see a flicker of something in his eyes. Was it pity? Regret? I can't be sure. "Fine," he says, finally. I will be gone for at least a few hours, no more than a half-day. But do not leave this room until I return, or there will be consequences."

I sink back onto the settee as Leonid leaves. Why did it matter? I had spent many hours alone before. I told myself it was because of the siege, not knowing what could happen hour to hour. True, Leonid had seized power, but the people, those loyal to the former King, would still fight.

I finished the meal Leonid had brought in the silence of my room, with only my thoughts for conversation. The fresh memories of the previous day, the older memories of the few years I had spent as Queen, every moment I could recall was scrutinized, every pleasant word, every fond touch. With my husband dead, all I could do was linger on whether or not he had loved me. Had I ever loved him, or had I just grown accustomed to my new life? He had wanted a young wife, a woman he could mold. That was why he sought women farther from the capital—women who were removed from the politics and pleasantries of the royal court. The families would be proud, the daughter would be flattered, and all would be ripe for manipulation.

What he hadn't accounted for was for me to become curious. To learn, to listen. I had asked questions as the years went on. He said I had become willful. A child would fix that. He desperately wanted an heir, just as most kings were inclined to want. And when I did not produce one, the inner court became ripe with rumors and speculation. It made him redouble his efforts.

It made me loathe him. I had wanted to feel for the man, to love him like I was always told I would. But he saw me as nothing more than a broken broodmother, and I could see the beginning of resentment in his eyes and hear it in his voice.

Perhaps the king's death was something more like divine intervention.

Shaking the thoughts from my head, I move towards the door to my room. If I was to be stuck here, I should make the most of my time.

"Hello?" I say, knocking on the door tentatively.

It takes only a moment before I hear the door unlock. A nameless guard peers at me, "Did you need something, my Queen?"

"Yes," I reply, trying to meet the man's stare with one of my own. "I need you to send for my lady-in-waiting, Emi. Tell her to find some parchment and something to write with."

With a nod, the guard closes the door, leaving me in silence again. I turn and look at the room. I may be trapped here, but I needed to have a plan. News of the King's death would be spreading, and I knew that people would assume that I had died beside him. Being locked away in my home would not dissuade those thoughts. I needed my family to know I was still alive.

I was told I couldn't leave, but I could guess the same restriction hadn't been placed on Emi. If she could sneak the letters out and hire a courier to deliver them, my family would know I still lived.

For now.