004: suppressing

Lily's unease with Theo's prolonged silence echoed through every step of their journey—from the hushed bus ride to their quiet stroll within the familiar confines of their subdivision

Lily's unease with Theo's prolonged silence echoed through every step of their journey—from the hushed bus ride to their quiet stroll within the familiar confines of their subdivision. As the chilling 4:30 am breeze enveloped them, she couldn't shake the feeling that Theo's recent despondency harbored secrets or problems she couldn't fathom. Though tempted to probe and unravel the reasons behind his somber demeanor, Lily resisted the urge, opting not to burden him further.

The cold morning air cut through Lily as regrets crept in, reminiscing about Shan's offer she had declined once again. Yet, Theo's unexpected presence on the journey home added an unexpected layer to her musings.

"Hurry. You're gonna get sick. Why do you have to dress less if the party is all about making friends rather than attracting them? Tsk," Theo muttered under his breath.

The words hung in the quiet air, barely audible but enough for Lily to catch. "Making friends means I need to look presentable for first impressions. Why are you so grumpy? You have been acting really weird recently. I have been trying to understand you on my end, but if your problem includes me, then tell me! You expect me to figure out everything all the fucking time and read every between the lines for us to understand each other—I'm tired, Theo!"

Their footsteps halted, bringing a tense stillness between them. "Do you like him?" Theo finally broke the silence.

"What?" Lily paused, the once-pervasive cold breeze fading into insignificance.

"Do you like him? Shan? You never like any of your friends, right? You said that," Theo's words lingered in the air, each syllable carrying the weight of unspoken fears. As Lily grappled with the sudden revelation, the heavy silence amplified the sound of their breathing, mirroring the intensity of the emotions swirling between them.

"You said it yourself that one should not fall for their friends. Then what are you doing with Shan?" Theo's question hung in the air, a poignant inquiry into the complexities of their relationship.

Brows furrowed, Lily struggled to find words. "What— Why... What is this question, Theo?"

"The way you look at him, do you think I would not notice that? You rarely look at anyone like that. Is it because he's different from everyone else? Because he's like you? Yeah... You deserve someone smart and tells jokes that only you would understand—heck, it was dry as fuck but you laugh anyways. That's it, right? You finally like someone."

In the lingering silence, Lily glimpsed the hurt in Theo's eyes. She doesn't want to assume nor she does not want to say anything that is out of hand with the fear of reading everything wrong. Lily stood frozen, grappling with the weight of Theo's disclosures.

"Theo—Why would I be thinking about liking someone right now when my head is in the books?" she began, her voice tinged with both frustration and concern. Trying to play safe. Suddenly her phone chimed, she checked it due to reflex and adrenaline.