Chapter Sixteen

ADELINE
MEADOWS

OH Lord. It was not what I had anticipated, going out with Valentino. Valentino grew furious when the cashier continued to treat him rudely after we had just gone to grab some dinner. With seeking eyes, I stand next to Valentino, glancing between my closest friend, who is even more menacing, and the cashier who had been challenging Valentino.

"If I were to refuse to give you your order, how would you respond? Who are you to run my restaurant? It's my property." The cashier gives him a stern scowl. To tell the truth, he seemed high. He's not in the right frame of mind, in my opinion, to compete against a stranger at random.

With his jaw clenched, Valentino lowers his head. Narrowing my gaze towards the cashier, I shake my head. This night would not be well, as I expected. "I'll fucking kill you and make sure this restuarant get's improved leadership service." Valentino grins.

The cashier smiles. "How do you perceive yourself? Are you the city's owner? It is a free city, therefore I can do as I like." Oh, how I wish. Nothing about New York was fair.

Freedom is supposed to be defined as; Freedom. The word itself conjures up images of soaring birds, wide open spaces, and endless possibilities. But for many, freedom is just a distant dream, a mirage that taunts and teases, never quite within reach. But in New York, freedom is just a front for something else entirely.

Here at 'home', nothing is free. not even our physical forms. Living with the Lars family as a child was anything but free. Every action or movement is tracked and coded. Your words are used against you in every way. Everything that takes place is a frown. Your position is calculated by this city. You become instantly unimportant to them if you are undeserving.

Pressing his palm on the counter, Valentino raises his shirt to show off the Lars tattoo. Valentino would undoubtedly make use of the Lars name privilege. Anybody would do so. "You work for them, kid?" The cashier gives an eye roll. "What? Are you the mafia's housekeeper?" He makes fun of it.

I roll my eyes. "He's the leader's brother, in fact, he can take down your restuarant by one phone call. So, please give us our order so we can leave, your restuarant smells worse than my bestfriend's crush's bedroom." Don't ask how I know how Christian's room smells like.

_

Right, someone should remind me and give me a good slap on to never hang out with Valentino when he's not in the right state of mind. He's a girl version of Valentina, and if anything, they love starting arguments for pleasure. It's amusing, not when it's with me.

"I'm not going in with you, Valentino. What if Bridget finds out?" I scoff, half-pleading.

Valentino rolls his eyes. "Bridget is at home celebrating with the others for our graduation. Plus, if we get caught, it's our family's club."

"They're celebration our graduation, without us! Are you alright, Valentino? Take me home, please."

Valentino narrows his eyes. "Just a few hours, it wouldn't hurt a little to party, Addie. You're such a kid." He groans.

I cross my arms, shaking my head. I didn't know what to do or think. I hated being called a kid, I didn't like being teased about the fact I can't do anything without the guilt of it. And, there's no fun thing about partying. You can dance at home, you can drink at home, and you can have flashing lights at home. I can make my own personal club, no need to go a whole public one.