Chapter Twenty-Six

VALENTINA
LARS

The people that are vicious and seek respect from you even though they deserve to be treated as they treat you, are the type of people I will never understand. I strongly believe that you should treat others how they treat you. Sure, I'll be the sweetest girl; I'd surely give up things for others' safety. However, if a person goes too far with me, it's done. If Luca had been polite, I would have been pleasant enough, I will undoubtedly write a poem about Rosalina and Luca's twisted, betraying love story. The only reason I dealt with Luca the way I did was because he broke my cousin's heart.

Now, I'm not calling myself innocent or pure, I have done things I should've never done. My dreams are filled with fantasies that I had of my brother's best friend. I can see him when he brushes accidentally against me, but in my dreams, I can see him up against the wall with me. But deep down I knew I was naive and a little girl, I could never own him. Christian was the attention of Manhattan, every woman desired him, and he probably enjoyed their company, however? I was a good girl in his eyes that wrote poems to escape this unfortunate reality.

"Valentina, zone out one more time, and I will tell Christian you wrote more than two-hundred poems about him, and you sneak up on him while he's working out," Rosalina nudged my shoulder, making me jump and glare at her because Luca was beside us, packing backup weapons.

Our parents have been searching all over Manhattan for us for the past two days while we've been plotting the escape. They even involved the FBI. Every soldier may be driving around hunting for us. I'm relieved they are unaware of our hidden premises at Luca's penthouse.

We all made a vow to keep things quiet and not pick up our phones—not because we wanted to worry our parents, but because we couldn't risk being discovered looking for Damien and Bridget. I wanted to hug my brother and make sure he was okay because I needed him. He spent his childhood defending us, and it's unfair that he's now left in solitude. And I know it's long gone, and there was nothing else I could do other than pray.

My eyes flew up in response to the abrupt physical touch whilst felt a smaller palm cover my hand. "Everything all right? Did I behave in any way? Do you have any worries? I'm here to listen to you." She babbled, which made me grin at how adorable she was.

"Don't worry, Addie, I'm okay. And you?" I returned the question. Adeline wasn't good at hiding her emotions, you could see right through her. And, I have a sense that she's feeling scared, just by the way her hands are trembling in the reckoning, she gulps every second, her throat tightening, and her eye shutting, tiring. Like my mom, I was great at observing people and making them look transparent.

Adeline forced a smile, pretending to be okay. "I can't see your tiny dimples, you are a horrible liar," I pinched her nose, making a blush appear across her face. I didn't have a chance to hug her or to assure her everything is fine because Luca and Rosalina began arguing.

"Rosalina, Christian and your Father's made men are downstairs." My eyes widened in shock as Luca continued, "And we have to escape right away." Adeline and Luciano had already arranged everything, and if our parents arrived first, it would not only put Addie in crisis but also result in a bloody battle.

Not only would it mean Luciano Mariano had been in contact with the daughter of a highly-respected, well-known, and powerful businessman, but it would also be bad for the rumors.

Rosalina scoffed, "Where? You live in a penthouse, the last floor and the highest, we have no escape!"

"We do, it's on the rooftop, I suggest we move now. I have a car waiting for me behind the building, just follow me and don't spread out." Luca instructed, and we all nodded except Rosalina who was twitching her jaw at him.