Twelve ✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

"Swan Song"

"Swan Song"

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

Sejanus Plinth found himself wishing the pain would end.

He had been struggling greatly with his participation in the Games, with the guilty feelings that had consumed him over the past few weeks, the ones that cast dark shadows in his mind and haunted him with horrible images of pain and loss. Of the guilt that came hand-in-hand with the role he had played in the death of Marcus, how he hadn't been able to save him from it, how he hadn't fought hard enough for him. It was something he knew would plague him for the rest of his life, the image of his battered body would be forever burned into his brain. It had become something he saw every time he closed his eyes, and it had shattered him into thousands of unmendable fragments.

His outburst at the situation resulted in his expulsion from the Academy. It was an easy fee to pay for something that should have been the signing of his death certificate. The Academy had become a place that he would forever link to the darkest chapter of his life, of how he wasn't brave enough to put plans into motion and was quick to speak up but slow to act. He wouldn't miss the people there, with their pretentious and snobbish thoughts, who had proven time and time again that they were the monsters he had read about in story books as a child.

Despite the disappointment and anger that his father felt in him he knew that it was the key to his freedom. Nothing was left to tie him down to the pain that they had caused. It had been his escape from it all. It was his chance to finally remove himself from the cruel narrative that they had forced him into.

However, with the most recent news circulating within the Capitol, he found himself knocked right back to square one...

His Winter, the person he was sure he'd get forever with, the one who had championed change, the one who had been brave enough to rebel against the system... was dead.

The Dean had issued the news in the early hours of the morning while the Capitol was still on a high from celebrating their newest victor, Lucy Gray Baird. In a short and blunt statement, he had informed that the girl had been with Dolon Craddle in a car when it flipped and killed them instantly. The wreckage had been cleared quickly and efficiently before the sun had risen in true Capitol style. There would be no public funeral, he would not accept condolences from strangers, and he would refuse to speak anymore on the excruciating loss.

Sejanus had thought that it was unfair of him. He hadn't been the only person who had loved Winter, he had loved her too and he wanted to know what happened to her. He had a right to know what had happened. He had the right to say goodbye to her.

It didn't feel real. He couldn't quite wrap his head around it. First Marcus and now Winter, two people who held special spots in his heart, two people who deserved the world and more had been taken before they had the chance to make a difference.