Exodus

A/N: Welcome to the last *chapter* chapter of The Doctor :')
(wrote that with tears streaming down my face btw)

Don't worry, there is still a fun bonus chapter and MANY epilogues after this! Not to mention the AUs I have coming as well as Judith's and Louise's books, which continue the plot in this little universe I've created :)

This is simply the last chapter of Rick and Cass's story, for *this* book. As always, I hope you wonderful readers enjoy <3

___

- Cass's POV -

"Why would I help you?"

Negan's already heavily bruised face drains completely of color as I utter that sentence, the various shades of his bruises casting an eery pattern across his skin.

He blinks, his chest heaving in confusion like a panicked animal caught in a trap. "What're... why are you-" Negan begins, his voice trailing off, the words faltering under the weight of his disbelief.

"You mean, why aren't I trembling in fear?" I question bitterly, narrowing my eyes with a deadly sarcasm, irritation thrashing within me. "Why aren't I that terrified little wife you remember?" I continue coldly, a venomous edge to my words as the memories of his torment flood through me.

Negan's eyes widen, his brows furrowing in bewilderment as he struggles to comprehend the reality I'm unfolding. "But-" he stammers, the word catching in his throat, his confusion palpable.

I glance over my shoulder at Rick, standing by the door, a smirk tugging at the corners of my mouth as I revel in Negan's bewilderment. "Do you see how good my lying has gotten? He had no idea," I breathe with genuine amazement, making a smirk pull at the corner of Rick's mouth, pride glimmering behind his beautiful eyes.

"But you..." Negan's voice trails off, drawing my attention away from Rick. The haze of pain seems to cloud Negan's mind as his desperate gaze searches my face for answers. "You helped when everyone got sick," he mutters dumbly, his words seeming to be a feeble attempt to grasp onto something amidst his shattered reality.

I have to fight back a laugh, cocking my head to the side and raising my eyebrows. "Oh come on Negan. I thought you were smarter than that." I respond lowly with a smirk, relishing the way that Negan's eyes widen, rendering him momentarily speechless. After enduring him being the loudest, most obnoxious person on the damn planet, it's a nice change.

Negan's mouth parts in a question that doesn't seem to be able to escape him, blinking at me in utter bewilderment. I lean in slightly, squinting my eyes as they rake over his bruised features, tainted deep purple, red, and slightly green.

"It wasn't the goddamn flu, Negan. I killed them," I reveal slowly, my voice dropping into a threatening whisper, watching as a wide range of emotions rip through Negan's features. His eyes flutter with shock, his mouth dropping open- wincing in pain as he does.

Then his expression contorts with outrage, his confusion quickly giving way to a fiery rage, his eyebrows furrowing deeply. "H-How could you possibly have done that?" he demands wildly, his voice laced with indignation, his chest heaving.

Rolling my eyes with exasperation, I have to look away from his irritating face, its amalgamation of bruises and swelling contrasting grotesquely against the clean pillow of the bed he's strapped to.

"It doesn't matter how I did it. I just want you to know it was me," I explain smoothly, a surge of satisfaction coursing through me as Negan's eyes darken with rage at my words.