Chapter 29: A Missing Melody

In two easy and fast moves, Kate pinned the girl to the floor in a judo hold. A group of ten newcomers observed the scene petrified, in what was their first combat class.

"Let me go, you bitch!" The girl yelled.

"Hey, watch that language!" I interjected. "Do you guys see what is happening? Pay attention."

The group looked at me confused. Kate had called on me for the past three days to help her in the combat training for the newcomers since apparently, they were a disaster.

"Does anyone know what Rachel could do in this situation?" I asked the others.

Silence. It was like talking to a brick wall. Concern and fear were the only things I could read on their faces. "What an amazing group assignment," I mused to myself.

"Alright, Rachel, think. What could you do?" I asked.

"I don't know, and I don't care; just let me go, you're hurting me," she yelled angrily. Her blonde hair covered her face as she tried to push it away.

"Stop complaining and think," Kate ordered.

Rachel took a deep breath, pondered for a moment, and then circled her legs around Kate's, trapping her left one.

Yeah, good move!" I cheered.

"Okay, but now what?" she said, fatigued.

"Now, you squish her leg and roll to the side to get rid of the neck lock," I explained.

Rachel attempted a barrel roll, but Kate swiftly pinned her to the floor again.

"Oh, this is a nightmare. I'm not doing this!" Rachel yelled.

"Alright, let's leave it here for today." Kate stood up and extended a hand to Rachel, but she refused it.

"Just leave me alone!" she said.

"Hey, what's your problem?" I stood in front of her, blocking her way to the Narval House.

She rolled her eyes. "Oh, please! Just get lost, okay?" She tried to sidestep me, but I moved again.

"Do you realize how lucky you are to be here?" I asked, trying to keep my tone calm.

"How lucky am I? You don't know shit about me! Go give your advice to someone who cares," she raised her voice. The rest of the group, who had left for the Narval House, now turned their gazes to us.

"Enough," Kate said. I tried to bite my tongue, following Kate's orders, but her tiny smile over the edge of her lips drove me mad.

"You should show us more respect," It sounded a bit too authoritarian, and Rachel raised her eyebrow in awe.

"To you? Why? Because you fuck leads in the public places? I think you're the one who should be more respectful." And there it was, like a punch to the gut. Whispers from the group filled the air in a matter of seconds. I couldn't let a single word out. Rachel smiled satisfied and turned to leave.

The rumors had started three days ago, but as time passed, they became more and more prevalent in every place I went, and now, even the newcomers knew.

"What did you just say?" I rushed to her. She turned around and stopped just a few centimeters away.

"You've heard me, or do you want me to repeat it?" she looked defiant. Violent thoughts filled my mind as fast as my hasty heartbeat. Kate rushed to us and positioned herself between us, preventing the imminent fight.

"I've said enough! Rachel, shut up and go!" Kate ordered. Rachel huffed and then joined her colleagues who were waiting a few meters behind, extremely attentive to the situation.