Chapter 67: Disconnect From Control

The towering Techno-human statue in Foundation Square was drenched in red paint. That was the first thing I saw when we arrived. Angry shouts of protesters filled the air. Signs held high echoed the slogan that had gained popularity over the past few months: Disconnect from control.

I was surprised to see all kinds of people, including techno-humans. One woman had splattered red paint across her prosthetic arm and half of her synthetic head and held a sign that read: Am I free, or am I theirs?

I gazed at Erik and his eyes were filled with worry. "Even the native techno-humans are turning against them." He muttered.

"What surprises me is how no one saw this coming... it was just a question of when." I said.

Suddenly, a group of angry protesters shoved us from behind. I grabbed Erik's hand and pulled him to the side.

"Stay close," I said. "This could turn into a war zone at any moment."

Erik nodded as he pulled his shirt back into place.

"Heather said she would come from the south, right?" He asked.

"Yes, let's try to get to the south entrance."

We moved through the crowd, trying to be discreet. Narval Officers were everywhere, locking down the entrances and exits, standing as firm as techno-human statues. However, they would clearly lose control since people kept pouring in, unstoppable. The situation could blow up at any moment.

"This won't be easy." I said.

"No, it won't." Erik felt exactly the same.

To our right, there was a platform. Probably set up for Brooke's appearance. Fortunately, she hadn't arrived yet, and given the situation, I hoped she'd decide to skip it.

As we scanned the faces approaching from the south, a woman with her face hidden by a scarf stepped onto the stage. She held a microphone in one hand and a pamphlet of the new implant rule in the other.

"Does this thing work?" She asked, tapping the mic a few times.

The crowd responded with shouts of affirmation, and the woman began speaking.

"For years, I served the Reg Society just like all of you. We were promised so many things: protection, freedom, evolution... But ever since the reset rule was enforced at the border and security tightened, the cracks and lies in this system have become clear."

She raised the pamphlet. "Technology can't control us! This implant is the last imposition they'll try to force on us!"

The crowd erupted into loud applause, waving Reg flags smeared with paint. The air grew thick with sweat, and I struggled to breathe.

"Hey," came a voice from behind. "Aren't you Brooke Abbot's shadow?"

Erik and I spun around, blood running cold. A woman with a red paint handprint across her cheek stared straight at me.

"You definitely are. I saw you at the press conference yesterday. You're quite the defender of the implants, huh?" Her voice dripped with sarcasm.

"It's... a complicated matter." I said, trying to keep my cool, even though my nerves were going haywire.

"Indeed." She turned toward a nearby group and yelled, "Hey, look who's here! Brooke Abbot's crow!"

Heads snapped in my direction.

"What the hell is she doing here?" Someone shouted.
"How dare she?" Another voice chimed in.

Anger rippled through the crowd like a wave. Voices rose, sharp and hostile. The woman on stage stopped mid-sentence, her gaze now locked on me. Erik's grip tightened on my hand, and I felt my heart race.