ch 16: Karma

Mrs. Wadhwa noticed Parvati talking to Mallika and saw that Parvati was congratulating her. Mrs. Wadhwa, furious and ready to lecture Parvati, was stopped by Mr. Wadhwa.

"Don't," Mr. Wadhwa intervened, his voice calm yet firm. "This will only bring back bad memories for you."

"I don't want to see her around Suyash. She has hurt him very badly," Mrs. Wadhwa said, her anger palpable. "Sometimes, I feel like I want to curse her even more."

"Don't," Mr. Wadhwa insisted gently. "She has already been cursed by destiny itself. Let's not stoop to her level by cursing her."

"Why are you so wise?" Mrs. Wadhwa asked, her tone softened by her husband's wisdom.

"Because you are my wife," Mr. Wadhwa replied with a smile.

****************

"Did Nikhil do something to you?" Parvati asked Gunn, who was carrying Pragati in her arms as she fell asleep.

Gunn shook her head, "He just wanted to talk to me."

"No, if something happened you have to tell me. Don't be afraid," Parvati said, showing her determined support, ready to stand by Gunn's side.

Gunn laughed, "No, Badi Maa, everything is fine. Nikhil is not that bad of a person."

"Okay," Parvati accepted Gunn's answer.

"Badi Maa," Gunn said, "can I ask you something?"

"Ha, phucho na," Parvati replied.

"Will it be okay if I want to move on in life?" Gunn asked hesitantly. "Will it be okay if I want to get married again?"

Parvati paused for a moment, lost in thought, then she asked, "Do you have someone you like?" secretly hoping it's not Nikhil.

"No," Gunn answered, "I am not looking for love, and I will always love Krishna. But what if destiny sends someone to me who is nice and makes me happy? Will it be okay?"

"Of course," Parvati nodded, "you have every right to move on in life."

"But will the family support me?" Gunn asked, still hesitant.

"Yes, of course, why not," Parvati answered firmly.

"Then why didn't you move on?" Gunn asked, catching Parvati off guard.

Parvati, surprised by Gunn's question, replied, "Because I am 50, Because i am old now, and I'm not looking for love. I'm done with marriage; twice was enough. Marriage is too much responsibility, and now I just want to focus on myself and do whatever I want. I'm tired of making another person happy." Parvati continued, "Sometimes what we have is already enough. We don't need to chase every new happiness. I know myself, and I don't need anything else in my life. I already did what I needed to do-I got married, had my children. There is practically no reason to marry again; my life is complete now."

"So you don't love Mr. Mehra?" Gunn asked, her curiosity evident.

Parvati was taken aback by Gunn's question. "What is this question?" Parvati exclaimed. "I don't understand why everyone suddenly wants to know about my relationship with Mr. Mehra? Maa, bua, Shruti, Chhaya, and now you?"

"Because Mr. Mehra is back, and people are suspicious about your relationship with him?" Gunn replied.

"We are just friends," Parvati clarified.

"That's the problem too, Badi Ma. People won't see your friendship with him as just friendship. Everybody feels that there is something going on between you two."