Chapter Thirty-Six: Rubicon

December 28th, 2023, South-West Mediterranean Sea, 17:22 Hours.

(Damian's POV)

I leaned on the rails and stared into the seemingly never-ending waves of the sea, each one looking like a folding page in the distance with what little light I had to see it with.

The air is cold but manageable.

???: "Damian?" I heard a voice and turned my head to see Matt.

"Yeah, what's up?" I replied and looked back towards the sea.

Matt: "Everything all good? Sounds like we will be arriving soon." He says and leans on the railing next to me.

Small lights in the distance catch my attention and it seems to rotate and disappear before quickly reappearing.

Lighthouse...

I sigh, "Ever wonder what it's like to be isolated away from all this?" I changed the topic.

Matt shrugs.

Matt: "I thought our town was quiet except for when they came and checked on us." He refers to the Devils.

"No like really away. I had this friend who talked about Japan with me and was always so eager to get there." I pause to remember him, "Japan still runs like nothing is happening, besides their military waiting on the coast for an enemy that will never come."

Matt goes silent with only the waves causing a sound to be heard.

"I like to think that this is all just a really bad dream..." I seemed to just say what was on my mind.

Matt: "Yeah...Me too." He says quietly, "One hell of a dream."

I smile slightly at the thought.

"You know Matt, you and Louise did have something going." I mention a certain bat.

Matt: "I thought you were against love." He states.

"I'm against distractions, not love." I rub my hands to warm them before breathing on them, "I just don't want to do it all over again."

Silence passed over us for a minute as we both looked at the distant light.

Matt: "What was she like?" He says, making me look at him, "You know, the Nightingale."

I exhale before looking up at the stars that are becoming more visible by the minute.

"She was...Everything to me, and I regret not saying enough to her." I placed my hands back on the rail, "She is the reason I'm here, and I want to believe that she is still out there somewhere looking for me."

Matt: "Do you know if she..." He pauses.

"No...No I do not." I replied.

It goes quiet once again.

The waves seemed to calm as we passed the lighthouse towards our final destination.

"Shit, what time is it?" I looked down at my watch, "Lyn is waiting on me. I see you before the end of the night and go over a few things with you." I walked past him.