Today, My Brother Became a King

The sun dial outside my window reads almost three in the afternoon, the sun deep in the sky shinning directly though my open window. Golden rays stream through, casting dancing shadows on my walls and filling my bedroom. If I can get Charlie's crown done before Evy gets here, we will have ample time to complete ours with detail and attention. Sewing his tulips, roses, daisies, and lilacs into his crown only makes me ponder how fast my best friend has grown up. In only 2 months, Charlie will be Chief. Ever so carefully, I add all nineteen leaves, mixing them into the collage of colour. Looking in the mirror, I slowly place it on top of my head, knowing a day such as this would never come for me, and even if it could, I am unsure I would want it too. I'm not fit for chiefstess, for I am barely fit to be a Chiefs daughter.

       My Father opens my door and shuts it immediately, making me rush the crown off my head and place it on my vanity with the others. He slowly comes over to sit on my bed and just stares at me; I can see the exhaustion mixed with a heavy excitement in his eyes. For a moment, we sit in silence watching out my window. I rarely have moments like this with my dad. Finally he begins the speech I knew was bound to come, the 'dont you dare fuck this night up' speech.

"Y/n," he begins, "Tonight is one of the most crucial nights of your brother's life. Now I know you enjoy fooling around with your friends and the other village kids, though today I need great focus from you and your siblings."

"Yes Father, I-"

"Y/n, I am not finished," he interrupted, "I do not have time for your careless behaviours today. You know your duties as Chiefs daughter; as my daughter. Absolutely no risks can be taken today, Chiefs around the islands have travelled all this way just to celebrate your brother. Do not mess this up for him, I do not want to be disappointed."

       To make sure he was finally finished, I sat in silence until he looked to me for a response. "Yes dad, I am aware. I've been trying my hardest. I will make you proud," I try my hardest to keep my anger contained, though some tone came through. I wish my dad would be proud of me no matter what. Don't get me wrong, he was an amazing father when I was young. Always so encouraging and right by my side, though ever since my interest in dragons has risen, he has distanced himself from me immensely. "Y/n, do not push me today. You know I love you, but I will not hold back if something occurs today. Thank you for your help with these crowns, they look beautiful. Please remember to do your hair incorporating braids, your mom asked me to remind you," he stated, matter-of-factly. I nodded in response. He opened his mouth, about to say something but just turned around, walking out.

       Instantly after my dad shut my door, I heard Evy's footsteps pounding down the hallway. She burst through my door, smiling and humming like a little kid, "Oh aren't you so excited, y/n? I snuck a peak at your brother and holy shit does he ever look handsome!" I giggled as she grasped my arms, spinning me out of my chair. Girls always commented on Charlie's capturing looks, so I have officially gotten used to it.

"The things I would give to have your life, it's perfect. My mother always is on about your dad when he was our age, she says he has quite the reputation."

"Ruffnut I have heard was also quite the character, as my mom says. Imagine how much fun they would have had, flying on dragons. Funny how you get told all these stories but my father runs away if I ever ask him about toothless."

"Maybe he's just sad? I mean, he lost his best friend. I would be devastated if I ever lost you, idiot," she shoves my shoulder and giggles.

"I would probably be dead without you Evy!" I laugh in return.
"Oh I'm extremely aware," she says as I tackle her over onto my sheets.

       I really don't know what I would do without Evy, she's always here when I need her, always saying the right things. We chatted more about boys and how many we might dance with tonight, specifically Nott. Whenever his name is brought up in conversation, her cheeks turn neon pink and her smile stretches ear to ear. We made a plan to at least save them one dance tonight, however for me, Evy does not shut up about how many boys will be all over me. I've never been boy crazy, though thinking about finding someone makes my stomach flutter.