63

❝𝐂𝐎𝐃𝐄 𝐑𝐄𝐃, 𝐈 𝐑𝐄𝐏𝐄𝐀𝐓, 𝐂𝐎𝐃𝐄 𝐑𝐄𝐃. 𝐃𝐎𝐄𝐒 𝐀𝐍𝐘𝐎𝐍𝐄 𝐂𝐎𝐏𝐘?❞ dustin's voice echoed into the abyss that loomed over the elevator. "this is a code red, i repeat, a code red. does anyone copy? we are innocent children and we are trapped under starcourt mall."

"'trapped under starcourt mall'..." dani groggily repeated dustin's phrase, almost in utter disbelief. he was right, they were very much trapped; so much so that they had to sleep in the elevator. although, sheridan hardly caught a wink. "the kid's giving me the heebie jeebies," she divulged to steve, who sat on the floor next to her.

"the red army has infiltrated hawkins, and if we are found, they will torture and kill us," dustin continued. steve stood and headed over to the grate that lead to the top of the elevator.

"hey!" he called out before climbing up the ladder. "you gotta take it easy on that thing, okay? you're gonna drain the battery."

"the mall just opened."

"so?"

"so someone could be in range!"

"what, d'you think petey the mall cop is gonna rappel down here and save the day?" steve inquired as he pushed himself fully on top of the elevator.

"you literally got to spend the entire night with dani, i don't understand why you're being such a cranky pants," dustin prodded. instantly, steve shushed him, motioning to keep it down.

"yeah, and you and robin and erica sinclair; not exactly my idea of romantic," the harrington boy scoffed as he began to make his way toward another corner of the elevator. "did i tell you i kissed her the other day?"

"you kissed her?!" dustin questioned, his eyes wide and brows raised. "you lucky bastard."

"i didn't actually kiss her, just her forehead, but..." steve unzipped the fly of his scoops uniform. "damn, it felt good," he sighed.

dustin's face scrunched with disgust. "what are you doing?"

steve peered over his shoulder at the boy. "what does it look like i'm doing? i'm taking a leak, look away!" before steve continued with his business, he stole another glance at dustin, who was very much still watching with aversion. "look away!" steve insisted once more.

unlike sheridan, who had drifted off to sleep the moment steve left her side, robin heard every word of his conversation with dustin; and the kiss was a revelation to her. she let her anger fester and eventually bubble over when she overheard the faint sound of liquid leaving his body. "could you redirect your stream, please?!" the buckley girl huffed. even when he acted like that, it was always him that got the girl. just as robin went back to the buttons and keycard scanner, a clanking noise started up. she traced it to erica, who was trying to break open the green tube on one of the metal barrels. "hey, hey, hey! careful, careful, careful!" she rushed out, before nabbing the vial. "we don't even know what that is!"