Chapter 34 - Attack on 13

Before the transmission is interrupted, I can clearly hear a sound of pain, a scream coming from Peeta. The room is in chaos. Everyone is talking at the same time and no one can hear each other.

"Shut up!" Haymitch shouts. "It's not some big mystery! The boy's telling us we're about to be attacked. Here. In Thirteen."

The only sensible person who seems to have understood what Peeta meant.

"How would he have that information?"

"Why should we trust him?"

"How do you know?"

"They're beating him bloody while we speak. What more do you need? Katniss, help me out here!"

"Haymitch's right. I don't know where Peeta got the information. Or if it's true. But he believes it is. And they're..." 

"You don't know him," Haymitch says to Coin. "We do. Get your people ready."

"Of course, we have prepared for such a scenario. Although we have decades of support for the assumption that further direct attacks on Thirteen would be counter productive to the Capitol's cause. Nuclear missiles would release radiation into the atmosphere, with incalculable environmental results. Even routine bombing could badly damage our military compound, which we know they hope to regain. And, of course, they invite a counterstrike. It is conceivable that, given our current alliance with the rebels, those would beviewed as acceptable risks." says Coin. 

"You think so?" says Haymitch.

"I do. At any rate, we're overdue for a Level Five security drill," says Coin. "Let's proceed with the lockdown."

I see her type something quickly on a keyboard.

Boggs leads Katniss, Finnick and me out of the Command. We arrive at a staircase. Lots of people are coming down, but surprisingly no one is shouting or anything like that. My thoughts go straight to Cora, I need to find her, but it's very difficult trying to find her with so many people coming down the stairs.

It takes a few minutes to reach the place where everyone is being directed. Boggs informs us that we have to stay in the area with the same letter as our compartment. As soon as I find the area where I'm staying, I run to look for my sister. Fortunately, I soon see her, sitting on one of the bunks. I run to hug her.

"What happened?" she asks me worriedly.

"Peeta." I say. She looks at me confused. "In today's Capital broadcast, he reported that 13 will probably be attacked."

I know this information won't reassure her, but it wouldn't do any good if I lied.

The siren warning of a possible attack and urging people to get to safety continues to sound. Cora and I sit on the bottom bunk, listening to the siren and observing our surroundings. Only now do I see that Cora is holding something in her hand.

"What is it?" I ask, pointing to her hand.

When she opens her hand to show me, my heart stops. She holds up the wooden heart I had won from Johanna in the arena. Tears form in my eyes. I take the object from her hand and hold it tight.

"I knew you'd want to keep it. It's a good thing I was in our compartment when the siren started ringing." she says.

"Thank you." my voice comes out weak.

It's amazing how there hasn't been a day since I was rescued from the arena that I haven't thought about Johanna. Everything and anything reminds me of her.