Chapter 18 - Chariot rides

*Daphne's outfit for the chariot ceremony

*Daphne's outfit for the chariot ceremony. It's supposed to be weird and exaggerated lol I couldn't find better ideas

As soon as we arrive in the Capitol, Hunter and I are sent to our respective prep teams. I'm shaved, bathed, my hair washed and my nails done. I'm left with just a thin robe to cover my body. When I'm ready I hear someone approaching me, it's Venus. I can see on her face that she's trying her best not to show any emotion.

"We don't have time for crying and tears." I'm the first to say jokingly. She steps forward and hugs me tightly.

"Of course not," she replies in the same tone.

Venus and I have lunch together. The food here is one of the few things that makes me like being in the Capitol, it almost makes me forget why we're here. When we've finished lunch I ask, "Are you going to dress me up as a cow for the chariot ride again?"

Venus chuckles. "Not this time."

When it's time to get ready for the opening ceremony, my prep team returns. They do my hair, something simple, loose, but with a few waves. Then they put makeup on me, a dark makeup that really marks my eyes. While the team finishes the final touches to my face, Venus arrives with my costume.

I laugh when I see it. It's obvious that if they weren't going to dress me up as an animal that represents livestock, they would dress me up as a cowgirl... Surprisingly, this year's costume manages to be better than the one I wore at my first Games. Venus helps me put it on and when I look in the mirror, with the complete look, literally from head to toe, I can't deny that I look very hot. I can't help thinking that the first time in a long time that I'll see Johanna again, the first time we'll look into each other's eyes knowing our fate, she'll see me dressed like this. I can't imagine whether she's more likely to laugh at me or get extremely turned on.

Analyzing her work, Venus instructs me on a few things. "I don't want you to smile, okay? I want you to remain serious throughout the chariot ride."

I nod. As soon as the last instructions are given, I decide to go down to where the chariots are.

When I get to the first floor I see that some of the victors are chatting in groups with their mentors and other victors. The first people I see are Anastasia and Hunter, so I join them to say hello.

"Wow, you're..." Anastasia says.

"Ridiculous?" I say, giggling.

"I was going to say beautiful, but I think you look ridiculous in that outfit too," she replies.

I notice that Hunter is also wearing a cowboy outfit in the same color as mine, just not as revealing... I talk to them for a while, but as soon as I see Johanna talking to Finnick near the District 7 chariot, I say goodbye and go over to them.

Finnick sees me first. He flashes a mischievous but also debauched smile as he observes my outfit. Noticing his reaction, Johanna turns to see what Finnick is looking at. She seems to freeze for a few seconds.