Chapter 11

I kept my head down as I wandered through the narrow streets of Zlatograd, trying to avoid attention

I kept my head down as I wandered through the narrow streets of Zlatograd, trying to avoid attention. Every corner I turned, it felt like someone was watching me, but I forced myself to stay calm. I had to get out of here.

As I neared the stables, I spotted two men leading a few horses. Their coats shone in the dim light, well-fed and strong, the kind of animals that could carry me far away from this place. I approached them, keeping my voice steady.

"Are these horses for sale?"

The men looked me up and down, sizing me up. One of them, a tall man with a scar running down his cheek, stepped forward. "What's it to you?"

"I need a horse," I replied, pulling out the last of my coins. "I'll pay you whatever you want."

The man eyed the money, then nodded. "Take your pick."

I moved towards the closest horse, a dark black stallion with intelligent eyes. As I handed over the coins, the other man, a stocky fellow with a gruff voice, spoke up.

"Funny thing about that horse," he said. "It's the one the fugitive Princess used when she escaped."

I froze my hand still on the horse's reins. "The Princess?"

"Yeah," the stocky man continued, almost casually. "They say Aurora's locked up now in the deepest dungeon under the palace. But you didn't hear that from me."

I nodded, trying to keep my expression neutral, but my mind was racing. I mounted the horse, giving the men a final glance before steering the animal towards the city gates.

As I rode away, the weight of their words settled on me. If Aurora was really down there, in that dungeon... No, I couldn't think about that now.

But can I just leave knowing she's in danger? Wait, since when did I start believing in the mumbo-jumbo rumors? Those guys could be spouting off a bunch of bullshit just to get a reaction out of me. Something inside me wouldn't let it go. I couldn't just leave without finding out more. It couldn't hurt to look...

Fuck it.

I shook my head, reined in the horse, and turned back, my stomach twisting with nerves. Approaching the men again, I dismounted and faced them.

"I've changed my mind," I said, my voice steady despite the tension in my chest. "I want to see the palace. Maybe I could join the guards there."

The men exchanged a look, skepticism clear in their eyes. The scarred man stepped forward, crossing his arms. "And why would they take you? You're just some stranger off the streets."

"I've got experience," I lied, keeping my expression serious. "I fought in battles, and I know some useful information on the rebellion." I made sure to put some extra emphasis on that last word. People would do almost anything for you if you sweetened the deal with the right incentive or a well-placed bribe.