Chapter 29

The meadow stretched out before us, golden in the late afternoon sun

The meadow stretched out before us, golden in the late afternoon sun. A light breeze stirred the tall grass, carrying the scent of wildflowers and the faint salty tang of the nearby sea. Lily lay beside me, her head resting against my shoulder, as we shared the food we'd packed. From this spot, we had a clear view of her father's villa nestled in the distance, its stone walls gleaming in the sun. He wasn't home—off on one of his long trips—and if he knew we were even here together, he'd have lost his mind.

Lily reached for a slice of bread and tore it in half, handing me a piece with a teasing grin. "So, you never told me, how exactly did you manage to trip over a crate twice during that heist with Lance?"

I groaned, rubbing the back of my neck. "It wasn't twice. It was once. And it wasn't a crate, it was—"

"It was a crate," she cut me off, laughing. "Lance told me the whole thing. He said you went down so hard you knocked over the barrels and alerted every guard in the place."

"Okay, first of all, Lance exaggerates. Second of all, those barrels were stacked way too high. Anyone would've—"

"Sure, sure," she giggled, nudging me playfully. "Kelvin, master thief, taken down by a crate. Sounds like the stuff of legends."

I couldn't help but laugh with her, shaking my head at how ridiculous it all sounded. But that was Lily—she could make even my worst blunders seem like a joke. God, I loved her for that.

But then, her laughter faded, and I felt her shift beside me. When I glanced down, her expression had changed. Softer. More serious. She sat up slightly, her hand brushing mine.

"Kelvin, there's... something I need to tell you."

My heart skipped a beat, and I turned to face her fully, my stomach knotting with a sudden sense of dread. "What is it?"

She bit her lip, hesitating for a moment before finally speaking. "I'm pregnant."

The words hung in the air, and for a second, I couldn't breathe. Pregnant. My mind whirled, a mix of shock, fear, and something else—something like joy—fighting for control.

Lily's brow furrowed, her voice softening. "Kelvin? Are you—are you happy about it?"

It took me a moment to find my voice. "Of course, I'm happy," I managed, though it came out rough, like my throat had dried up. "I'm just... terrified, too. But, Lily, I love you. I love you. And this baby? It's amazing. I'm just... wrapping my head around it."

She let out a long breath, relief flooding her features as she gave me a small, tender smile. "You scared me for a second there."

I cursed myself silently, hating that I'd caused her even a second of doubt. I pulled her into my arms, pressing my lips against hers, trying to convey what words couldn't. "I'm sorry," I murmured against her mouth. "I'm so happy, Lily, I'd swear it on my mother's grave."