Putting to Rest

Lantash felt much like an intruder. The Kiron people, including his host, were deciding the future of the three unblended humans. They had already decided not to stay. They were the only people left on this planet, and though three people could live here, they couldn't really have a life. When considering joining the Tok'ra, Lantash heard them ask his host many questions about what it was like.

Martouf answered what he could, and referred to Lantash to answer many of them. He was pleasantly surprised when one question led him to learn his possible life span had more than doubled.

The other humans also asked many questions about what possible planets the Tok'ra would take them to live if they were not Tok'ra. Martouf allowed Lantash to take over for those questions.

"Do these planets have the same level of technology as us?" Tur asked. He was more concerned about being overwhelmed by advanced technology than being on a planet with lower technology.

"They are about the same," Lantash said. "On any planet you chose there will be something you learn from them, and something you can teach them.

.:.x.:.x.:.x.:.

Aldwin was guarding the gate. "Perhaps they can choose another time."

"We said we would wait," Selmak replied, also guarding the gate. "Besides they haven't been long. Bastet most likely still believes her Jaffa are guarding the gate."

"I just hope-" He stopped when he heard the others approaching.

They turned to the humans and their fellow Tok'ra.

Tur looked to the two Tok'ra. "We would like to burn the dead so that their spirits can be in peace. We can't stay here, and either of the other choices is going to be life changing." He glanced to Martouf. "We are the last of the Kiron. The four of us should stay together, and so we would like to join the Tok'ra."

Martouf looked rather pleased. From what she had seen, Selmak thought he had feared rejection. "We are pleased to hear that, and we will help you with whatever you need to do before you leave."

Soon they formed the plan on what they were doing next. Selmak took guard of the gate as the Kiron and Aldwin put the town to rest. Tur, Jorda, and Aldwin wrapped the bodies in oiled blankets. It would be disrespectful to directly burn them. The bodies were then set on stones. Martouf and Pekon burned the crops, as eating crops raised by murdered people was also considered disrespectful.

As they waited for night, they created two signs to hang near the Chaapa'ai, one in Kiron, and one in Goa'uld. Both signs read, "Bastet will never rule Kiron again." After some persuading, thanks mostly to Martouf/Lantash, the Tok'ra were allowed to take what naquadah had been mined.

At night the bodies were burned. The last of the Kiron chanted as they walked around the bodies thirteen times. Quietly they left before the fire went out, and Aldwin and Selmak followed respectfully behind.

We have to leave before the fire goes out, Martouf explained to Lantash. Some spirits don't mind leaving their body while we are there, but some are shy and prefer to wait until we are gone. Since the fire is the doorway out, we must leave before it goes out. Otherwise the shy spirits will be trapped.

Martouf went to his house to grab some things before leaving. He sighed softly as he approached. One of the walls had a hole in it from a staff blast. He closed his eyes to hold back tears, and then walked into the empty house. It was fairly small with two and a half rooms. The half room was really part of the main room, as it was only part of a wall that separated it. After saying his farewell to each room, Martouf took two things. The first was an armlet, a golden band worn on the upper arm, that had been passed down for eight generations. His brother should have gotten it, but now Martouf was the last one in the family. The second was of all things, a religious book. He heard Lantash quietly scoff, but it was more than a book about Bastet. It too had been passed down for generations, and it held the history of his family. Satisfied with the last trip to his house, he quietly headed for the forest.

Before entering the forest, Martouf turned around and looked over the town. Silent tears had been crossing his cheeks most of the day. He saw the smoke from the fire in the distance on the left side. All the farmlands were blackened from the burnings. He could see his house in the distance. Though sad, he smiled. Slowly he turned away, and headed for the Chaapa'ai.

Selmak entered the address to the Tok'ra base, and the Tok'ra and the humans headed for the Ring.

Martouf approached the water. You are sure we will not drown?

I am sure, Lantash answered. Remember? It's not water.

Martouf touched the event horizon, and then pulled his fingers from it. He smiled slightly. My fingers are dry. He put his fingers back in, and then, still unsure, held his breath as he walked through. He suddenly felt as if he was being pulled, and mentally braced himself for being pushed out.

You won't be pu- Lantash started, but was interrupted by the arrival on the other planet.

Martouf was surprised that he was stepping out as he had stepped in. He stepped hard, as he had expected to have to brace himself.

The Tok'ra started heading down the steps as he and the other humans looked around. Martouf circled, in complete awe. "Wow," he muttered softly, staring at everything with huge eyes. Are we really on another planet?

Yes, answered an amused Lantash. We are on another planet...welcome home.

The End