18) Heeseung

I take Jake's hand in both of mine and ask him to marry me.

It's not just in the spur of the moment, I've been considering this ever since we realised the prince might support Blessed-Cursed in taking down Minho.

Logically speaking, if one of us weds Jaeyun then we'll inherit the right to rule Akra alongside him. We could take the crown by force without his help, but joining the line of succession would cement our claim in the eyes of the world.

Theoretically then, it doesn't matter which Blessed-Cursed leader marries the prince.

But I'll make sure it's me.

From the moment I laid eyes on Jake I wanted him, and it's only becoming harder not to fall as I get to know him more. I won't let Sunghoon take him away from me.

But if I'm honest with myself, I wish I could have them both.

I've known for a while that I feel more for Sunghoon than I should, but I buried it deep, because he never showed any sign of feeling the same, or of even feeling anything for anyone.

Until Jake.

Last night I got exactly what I wanted, but maybe it would have been better if I hadn't had a taste of it, because today Sunghoon eliminated any delusions I had about it happening again.

He's drawn a permanent line between us, and I hate him for it.

If he wants to make an enemy out of me, then an enemy is what he'll get.

Jaeyun stares, those big brown eyes wide with shock, lips parting as he processes what I'm asking.

"You don't have to give me an answer right now." I say, looking down at his hand in mine. "Just think about it."

He swallows, nodding.

I can wait. I know it's not something he can easily agree to. But I can't deny that I'd hoped he would just say yes right now. That he would promise to be mine.

I'm hyperaware of the soft warmth of his skin under my fingertips, and the sexual tension between us is undeniable as I stroke my thumb over his knuckles with a featherlight touch.

He clears his throat and drops his hand, breaking the moment.

"We should go." He says awkwardly and I nod, but don't follow him as he leaves.

I stand there in silence, lost in thought, but glance up as footsteps come thundering in from the open door opposite.

In the next second Sunghoon is right in front of me, and my cheekbone is met with a punch that makes my whole body twist.

I'm disorientated and part of my face goes a little numb from the impact.

I slowly turn back to face him.

He obviously heard everything, and even though he doesn't speak, his eyes are filled with rage.

Sunghoon seems to think that he's entitled to Jaeyun because it's the first and only time he's ever desired someone. But if we're going to be petty - I saw him first.

I laugh at him, rubbing my face to get the sensation back into it, and Sunghoon's nostrils flare.

He advances on me again; the warning evident in every step.

I hate how the closing proximity between us makes me nervous, so I try to cover it with bravado.

"What, no congratulations?" I ask.

His jaw ticks but he doesn't take the bait, and I'm confused when a hint of satisfaction emerges on his face.

"Why would I congratulate you?" He asks, voice uncharacteristically soft. "The last time I checked, when you propose to someone, they actually have to say yes."