𝐨𝐧𝐞

"𝐈 𝐃𝐎𝐍'𝐓 𝐆𝐄𝐓 𝐈𝐓,"
Cora said, looking up at the statue in front of her and Percy, a man holding the head of a gorgon "why did he do that to her?" "she was a monster" Percy answered, looking down at the sheet on his clipboard. "Maybe. Or people just want everyone to think she was" Cora replied, admiring the details of the snakes "what do you mean?" Percy asked, still looking at his sheet, Cora knew he was having a hard time, she was going to help him "she was actually beautiful. A gorgeous girl. But something happened and she was punished. She wasn't a monster. The gods were the monsters."

Percy looked at her and then at the statue. "Do you need any help?" Cora asked, gesturing to his sheet "huh? Oh. No, it's fine" he responded, now focusing on her again "you sure?" he nodded "okay. I'm gonna go find something. If you need me, I'll be around" she gently squeezed his shoulder and walked past.

She had been waiting to see this one statue since she knew it existed. She stood in front of it, staring at the carvings of the man and woman. It wasn't a statue they were meant to be interested by, the sheet gave them a selection and this was not one of them.

In Eurydice's arms, there was no baby, and Cora was confused by that. Did people not know she existed? Was she not mentioned in any of the stories told? Surely someone knew about her. Whoever created that statue did not. It was just Orpheus and Eurydice, no baby Cora. 

"Missing them?" Grover asked, appearing next to Cora "I can't really miss them if I never knew them" she said, unable to pull her eyes away. This is how she would see them. Her father covering his eyes, her mother holding onto him. Marble. "Yeah, you can. They are your parents" Grover said softly, watching the statue as if it were moving "it's fine, Grover" Cora said.

She didn't want to leave the museum. This was the only time she could see anything of her parents. Grover and Cora stood still and silent, just looking at the man and woman escaping the Underworld. If only they managed to do it.

"Mom?" they heard.

And then laughing.

Cora quickly walked back to Percy, who was being laughed at by Nancy Bobofit and her friends.

"I'm right here, sweetie. Mommy's here" Nancy said. Gods, she was a bitch.

Cora put her hand on Percy's shoulder and stood next to him, glaring at Nancy. Percy looked at her, she looked pretty. Really pretty. Even if she was giving someone a look that could have killed them, she was pretty. Percy thought she should've been a goddess, praised and worshipped. She should've been recreated into marble, decorating the museum as it's main attraction, it's only piece worth seeing. He could see her as a goddess, ethereal, graceful, with unimaginable beauty, but also one who could win wars, one who could kill someone simply with evil eyes, one who could destroy anything that came in their way. That was how he saw Cora.

"Mr. Jackson, you will learn to control yourself, do you understand me?" Mrs Dodds said, her arms crossed "me?" Percy went to point at Nancy "do you understand me?" Mrs Dodds repeated.

"He can't help it, Mrs Dodds. Percy's special" Nancy said, Cora wanted to give her a big hug around her neck for hours "and what are you, Nancy? If you're not special, you're nothing" Cora spat, she knew what it was like to be different, she knew it better than anybody else.

Percy was so confused. How could this girl, the girl worthy to be an immortal being cherished by millions, defend him? Why is she even friends with him? The amount of times she stood up for him grew every day, and every day he was just as shocked as the day before. The girl cares about him. The girl actually cares about him.

"That's enough" Mr. Brunner said, wheeling over to Percy and Cora. "Pay them no mind," he looked at Cora in a way that must have meant 'go away' but she ignored it and stayed "when you're ready to hear what the gods have in store for you, they'll tell you. I believe in you. And I believe you'll be needing this" Mr. Brunner took out a black pen and handed it to Percy.