Chapter 27: 57th Recon Mission Pt. 3

We did as we were told and covered our ears. I noticed the flash of metal beneath the captain's cloak. He had pulled out his smoke signal, but something told me he wasn't trying to signal our position. I was proven correct when he pulled back the firing hammer, aimed, and pulled the trigger. Instead of smoke, a loud sound was emitted. He had fired an acoustic shell.

Levi: Remind me what our mission is. Is it to act on impulse in the heat of the moment? Let me answer since you all seem to have forgotten. That is not the case and it never has been. Our mission is to keep Y/n alive at all costs. That means you need to prepare yourselves for the possibility that you might die next. His power is now the lifeline of the scout regiment.

Y/n: We cant keep running forever. She's right on top of us as it is. I trust your judgment, captain, but I can end this right now and potentially save a ton of lives in the process.

Levi: Out of the question. There's still too much we don't know about you and for all we know the one behind us is stronger than you. A direct confrontation could result in your demise and that is not something I'm willing to risk. However, if you choose to transform right now, I wouldn't blame you. Do as your conscience dictates. The choice is yours. Take matters into your own hands and either die or risk execution for disobeying orders when we return, or trust us to make the right decision.

Y/n(in mind): Why is he acting like I'm just going to act on impulse? Does he not realize that I trust him and the squad with my life?

Levi: I've never known what choice was the better one despite all the experience I've earned. That said, I trust you to make the right choice even if everyone else does not.

I glanced down at my hand. The thought of biting into it and transforming was extremely tempting. It would certainly help in my current situation, but it could also spell my demise. I didn't want to risk everything because I chose to act on impulse but I also didn't want to witness the deaths of any more of my allies. I closed my eyes, sighed, and made my decision.

(Flashback)

The captain and I were by ourselves in a stairwell of the scout HQ talking about Trost, the trial, and just how far we had to bend the rules just so I could stay alive. It irritated me that after everything I'd done, I was still considered as nothing more than cannon fodder.

Y/n: I had no idea how little the government trusted me, even after everything I've done.

Levi: What did you expect? Humanity always fears what it doesn't understand. One of its soldiers being able to transform into a Titan at will only amplifies that fear. Beyond the walls, there's always so little information to go on. That's why we never seem to gain anything. That's also why the public opinion of the scouts is never very good. I would've thought you'd accepted that by now.

Y/n: I've always known why we were never thought of very highly and I accepted that. I knew I'd be scorned by the masses because of my career choice but I didn't care. I have but one goal and that's to put an end to the Titans so no one else has to experience what I did five years ago.

Levi: There's always so little info to go on out there. We more often than not return with less of our comrades than when we left. I'd love nothing more than to see your goal to fruition, but I'm not sure how possible that is. They've gorged themselves on us for a century now and there's no telling how much longer it will go on.

Y/n: That's precisely why I want to end them. I'm not asking for your sympathy or your help, but I want you to understand.

The sound of approaching footsteps cut our conversation short as Moblit appeared before us. I stood up and stretched before he spoke.

Moblit: Captain Levi, Section Commander Hange would like a word with you.

Levi: Ugh, she better not make me listen to another one of her lunatic theories.

I chuckled internally. Despite the captain's apparent disdain for Hange, it was clear he held her in high regard. He trusted her, the same way he trusted me, and I'd be damned if I let them down.

(Present)

Levi: Well, what are you going to do?

Y/n: You're right, captain. It would indeed be foolish to transform here. I trust you know what you're doing.

The booming footsteps of the Female Titan grew louder with every second. I didn't dare look behind us lest we risk further casualties. 

Gunther: She's gaining on us!

Levi: Just keep moving. We'll outrun the bitch!

Y/n(in mind): There's no need to worry about what might happen. Knowing that the captain has a plan is good enough for me. It always has been. I just failed to realize it until now.

We passed through a small clearing. I spotted a silver flash up in the trees that could only have been from a set of ODM gear. My suspicion was proven correct as numerous scouts revealed themselves high up on the tree branches. The next thing I heard was proof that a plan had indeed been hatched and put into action.

Erwin: FIRE!!!

Hundreds of loud sounds reached our ears as the Female Titan was pelted with lightning-fast cables that bore deep into her flesh. She instinctively raised her arms to protect her nape as the cables shot into her body from all directions. She was trapped.

Levi: Everyone, hitch your horses a bit further on and then switch to ODM gear. I have to break away for a while so Eld's in charge until I get back. Tuck Y/n somewhere the Female Titan cant get him. And see to my horse.

Levi fired the hooks on his gear before flying off back toward the trapped Titan. I glanced back at the shrinking figure of the Female Titan as I finally realized what the plan had been.

Y/n(in mind): Are they...planning to capture her?

(3rd pov)

Levi flew up and landed on a branch next to Erwin before sheathing his blades and letting out a sigh.

Levi: She's not putting up much of a fight.

Erwin: That's no reason to let our guard down. Good work leading her here. I'm more than a little impressed.

Levi: We never could have accomplished this with the rear contingent's sacrifice. This belongs to them and I don't ever intend to forget it.

Erwin: That so?

Levi: Yes. Because of their sacrifices, we can expose whoever this really is. Ten to one they're pissing themselves right about now. The jig is up and they know it. 

The Female Titan struggled inside the cable prison as the reality of her situation began to set in. She was screwed.