five

☪︎ ִ ࣪𖤐 𐦍 ☾𖤓

YOU/EMBER

percy made his way down to the water— fighting off clarisses advances. all of her friends trying to attack percy at once. clarisse's spear got caught on percy's shield and he snapped it flipping clarisse on the ground. one of her goons noticed and stopped fighting— "no!" clarisse yelled grabbing percy by his shirt.

percy flinched dropping his weapon— the fear on his face struck my heart. i was just about to go help him when i felt something pull me back, annabeth.

"what are you doing? you can't help him!" she reminds me. "i have to!" 

"no you don't. stick to the plan." annabeth said sternly. i roll my eyes returning to my invisible state as i make my way down near the water.

the conch shell started blowing as campers approached. luke was holding the red flag in the air, everyone following him- cheering. clarisse fiercely let go of percy's shirt letting him fall hard on the ground. i flinch.

i reveal myself, "were you here the whole time?!" percy questions angrily. 

"yes-"

"you were here the whole time and you didn't help me?" he questions again, his anger rises. percy's brows furrow.

"yes-" i answer carefully, "why?" i take a step closer to him. 

"percy-" i start. "i'm sorry" i tell him with the hope that my words would stay with him. i pushed him into the water. 

"what is wrong with you?" percy says standing up— i flinched but noticed his wounds healing quickly. annabeth was right-- i smile. 

"i don't understand" percy glances at me but i look up. poseidon's trident floats in the sky above him-- everyone around us now paying attention.

"your dad's calling." i tell him, he looks up, his wet curls laying perfectly across his face.

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

"the oracle has confirmed what we expected, that this quest will proceed toward the underworld where you will confront the god who has rebelled against his brothers— hades." chiron explains, all of his best fighters were gathered up for percy to chose to acquaintance on his quest— me and annabeth being one of them. "the entrance to hades' domain lies under the city of los angeles. this is where you will journey. time is short." chiron faces the competitors. "i have selected our most compelling candidates from which you will chose two to join you on this quest, and ensure that we succeed."

"ember" percy blurts out, he locks eyes with me and i furrow my eyebrows slightly. percy breaks eye contact and i look to annabeth, she smiles at me as she knew percy was going to pick me no matter what.

"customarily, one wants to hear a name or two before choosing." chiron slightly whispered to percy except he's already made up his mind "are you sure you dont wait to hear more?" he asks him.

"this thing— zeus's master bolt- we need to get it back, right" percy questioned to chiron.

"yes"

"and it's going to be hard to get, yes?" percy asks, now intrigued i try to figure out where hes going with this.

"extraordinarily." he answers. 

"and if the mission required, someone to push me down a flight of stairs for it to succeed-- you want someone who won't hesitate when they do it." percy explained. the man lifted his brows and turned to face the competitors.

"the first quest mate shall be ember hindley" he states. i look to percy trying to read him.

"now onto the other candidates."